PDA

View Full Version : Staff travel

Saturn
9th Aug 2003, 06:13
OK thought I'd start a topic on this.

I'd like to ask, in summary, the deal on staff travel as there is a lot of information and some of it confusing. Being from the states and having jumpseat and passes etc.. I am having a hard time undertsanding the situation. so:

1) No jumpseat ever?
2) No ID 90's on anyone including the alliance partners?
3) If you want to travel, you HAVE to book through Cathay Hong Kong and way in advance?
4) No upgrade but can you buy a business or first class pass?
5) If living in the states and flying from here or anywhere outside of HK, are things any different?
6) Has there been ANY discussion of changing the policies/rules

From what I have read, the pass policy is VERY restrictive, NO?

Thanks for the info.

PLK/USA
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Cpt. Underpants
9th Aug 2003, 07:04
Here's a repeat (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98126&perpage=15&pagenumber=2) of my earlier post on the subject.

1. Yes, you can "jumpseat", but not on training flights, always at the commander's discretion (thank God) and you always need a ticket. Yes, Y class (economy) will do.
2. ID 90's perse do not exist. We are now blessed with the ZED (zoned employee discount) scheme, which is a cash grab. The Cathay ID90 fares are based on FULL FARE tickets and travel agents will always undercut these so-called "bargains".
3. Yes. 5 days is generally required for a ticket request on a carrier other than CX, including ZED.
4. You can only buy Business Class tickets. Subload scum like post April 1 1993 joiners are not permitted in First Class on leisure travel.
5. No.
6. No.

If you have more questions, fire away, but read the post on "Americans At Cathay" first.

Koan
17th Aug 2003, 16:34
I am a U.S. commuter puke currently considering a SO position at CX.

I must say that if this is indicitive of staff travel on ones own airline perhaps CX management really are the venal bastards they are portrayed to be on this board. Available seats will just go empty right? Maybe I should just stay away.

We currently enjoy on our domestic and Intl. system unlimited JS priviledges (a high percentage commute, by the way), Up to 4 standby roundtrips FREE per year at a vacation status when declared with upgrade to first available on seniority basis. Every year you can list a travel companion who is equal to a spouse. Perfect for poofters or those like me who have commitment issues. Unlimited standby travel at a nominal service charge after that . I wont mention the 20 buddy pass legs per year since they ARE a ripoff. We have dozens of Intl. and domestic pass agreements and have no problem ticketing on short notice from any company location. I have seen CX hosties on our flights to and from LAX a few times. No complaints from me about our staff travel at least.

Last year I went fron NRT-BKK for $28.00 USD on NH ZED fare and got upgraded to business since the back was full . I chatted the stews up with my few words of horribly broken Japanese and they treated us GREAT. Even gave us a bag of playing cards , a -400 toy, ANA postcards, and a bottle of wine "from the Captain since we are fellow airline employees". It was one of the highlights of my commuter puke career.

jtr
17th Aug 2003, 18:57
$US 28 for NRT-BKK!!! Thats gotta be a 7 hr flight.

From memory $28 on the great CX system will get you about 15 minutes past top of climb on the way to TPE.

Captain White
18th Aug 2003, 14:45
:yuk:

Cpt. Underpants !!!

Regarding your reply number 4 ......

That is why your company morale is so bad as it is filled with retentive drips that make comments like that !!! Grow up and admit that your AoA continues to make a complete hash of everything and only thouse who begrudge others a career carry on with this infantile whining by emotionally emasculated dinosaurs....

Go whine :{ in private but stop degrading the reputation of your colleagues with public dummy spitting excesses !!!

jtr
18th Aug 2003, 15:59
Whitey, get a grip.
Fair to say the comment was made tongue in cheek. If you remove the reference to B scalers (I am one, and clearly am a lower class of citizen in the eyes of CX) for the benefit of those whose didnt reset the SoH cb when it last popped, you will note that the majority of the info posted by Captain Underpants wrt staff travel is true. (exception being the F class stuff for b sclaers. Can order after a certain period, not sure what it is, but I ordered one a while ago. oohhh the excitement, what to wear? Had to sell one of the children to pay for it sadly.)