PDA

View Full Version : SBS ' The Need For Speed'

Knave
8th Aug 2003, 17:28
Just a heads up for anyone who might be interested but hasnt seen the ads. On tuesday night at 8.30 SBS will be doing a show on the use of amphetamines by military pilots.

Soulman
8th Aug 2003, 17:35
Yeah, Knave, I noticed the ads for it last night - should be a very interesting program...;)

I posted the same topic regarding this program in the military forum, to see if any of our overseas mates had seen the program - no replies yet. (Wonder if I'll get a reply from one of our yankee friends? :p)

Look forward to seeing it.

Cheers,

Souls.

Jetsbest
9th Aug 2003, 21:13
If it's the programme I think it is, I saw it in the States a few weeks ago. Quite informative, and revolves around the US military's frequent use of 'speed' to maintain crew alertness in long duration (ie 6+ hour) fast jet missions. You may recall the US Air Force F-16s in Afghanistan a year ago which dropped bombs 'enemy' forces firing at them, only to find that they were actually Canadian troops engaged in live-fire training ... the pilots were charged but their trial defence is that they were 'obliged' to take pills before flights, and now say it hindered their judgement.

I don't necessarily believe the whole docco but I can say that in my RAAF fast jet time the ONLY thing we could take, and only after a personal effect trial, was TEMAZEPAM (ie sleeping tablets) to help adjust the body to time-zone or 'back-of-clock' flying) for approved exercises and/or deployments. Can't comment on recent events.