PDA

View Full Version : The Sonic Boom

Soulman
8th Aug 2003, 17:24
Hey Guys,

Couldn't resist sharing this one with you all.

The Sonic Boom (http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/030726-N-4953E-081.jpg)

Enjoy,

Souls.

P.S > To all you fast jet jockeys out there - what does it feel like when you do pass Mach 1?

Heliport
8th Aug 2003, 18:23
NASA photograph

http://apod.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0102/sonicboomplane_navy.jpg

Thread Bear
8th Aug 2003, 19:07
Now THAT is impressive!

I found on a USAF fact sheet that the change in pressure caused by sonic boom is only a few pounds per square foot, about the same pressure change we experience on an elevator as it descends two or three floors, in a much shorter time period.

Anyone interested in reading that fact sheet here's the link...

http://www.af.mil/news/factsheets/Sonic_Boom.html

T.B

Mach2
9th Aug 2003, 01:32
Soulman- You asked 'What does it feel like? In modern fast-jets - a total non-event, just a reading on the dial. IMHO Subsonic high speed at low level is much more impressive than Mach 2 (or even Mach 3) at altitude!. :p

Flash2001
9th Aug 2003, 04:18
Few lb/ft^2 eh? An F-104 on delivery to the RCAF many years ago did a low supersonic pass and manouvered in such a fashion to shift some new construction at RCAF station Uplands a few inches on its foundations. Damage, I think, ran in the low millions of Canadian dollars which were worth something at the time.

After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again!

tony draper
9th Aug 2003, 06:34
Theres a photo knocking about of a Phantom I think it was doing that at about 20 ft, might be on me spare hard disc will have a look.
Wonders never cease , found it, I have no idea how to post it though, also found a clip of a F14 doing a low supersonic pass, past a Carrier, spiffing shock wave.
;)

Braveheart
9th Aug 2003, 08:54
Soulman

in answer to your question - it's great to be able to break the sound barrier in a fast jet but - you feel nothing. At most you will get a movement of the dials due to pressure waves but there is no physical sensation at all. AD drivers will confirm that we do this mostly every day and it is not a major talking point on the sqn. I quite often was at mach 1+ at 250' in the F3 which is something that the other fast-jet drivers won't have done much.

regards

B

MajorMadMax
9th Aug 2003, 15:27
Tony

Please post once you locate that pic, there are some dear double ugly pics out there of the old dog doing some great tricks...like a high-speed pass between some hangers and an IFR run (I Follow Roads) at about 20' that I believe was in Israel. Ah, the good old days!

Cheers! M2

Beeayeate
9th Aug 2003, 18:31
The pics (various) of these sort of events are impressive. Not to sure about them showing kites going supersonic though.

My understanding of this phenomenon <sp?> is that the effect is caused by the rapid condensation of the air as it transits the various wave shock fronts that travel along the aircraft's body. The sudden pressure changes, from high to lo, cause the condensation "clouds". . . don't they?

I've seen Canberras with these condensation clouds forming and the dear old Cranberrie is certainly not a supersonic kite. :hmm:

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~lesb/cancond.jpg

tony draper
9th Aug 2003, 18:45
I have found that picky of the F4 doing the low level supersonic pass but I have no idea how to post it here.
I do not have a website to host it.
:confused:

SPIT
9th Aug 2003, 19:19
Hi
Major Mad Max
I have saved a copy of the picture you are looking for but I dont know how to attach it to your personal message section or to post it. If you still want it let me know how I can do it please.
All the Best
Spit:confused: :confused: :ok:

ORAC
9th Aug 2003, 19:33
B1-B (http://www.sky-flash.com/jpeg/B1.jpg) F-4 (http://www.sky-flash.com/speed/F4TMAA.JPG)

tony draper
9th Aug 2003, 20:40
Yers ORAC thats the one I have, come to think I prolly pinched it from here anyway. :rolleyes:

Soulman
9th Aug 2003, 22:03
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback so far on Mach 1+ flight. It has been a very interesting thread - as justified by the pictures! :p

Keep em' coming! ;)

I hope to join the RAAF after High School (2005), so maybe I too will one day experience supersonic flight.

Cheers,

Souls.

The mother alligator
10th Aug 2003, 07:53
I did part of my A-level physics coursework on this phenomena. The condensation around the aircraft occurs due to the aircraft "catching up" with it's own forward emmiting sound waves. This causes a compression where all the waves are being "squeezed" together and, in moist air only, condensation occurs. This is shown by the Tomcat flying beside a carrier, only metres above the ocean - a very well known video clip.

Soulman
10th Aug 2003, 09:41
Hey Guys,

Some people in this thread have made note of the well known video clip of an F-14 Tomcat going supersonic during a fly past on the carrier. I did a search and found a fantastic website which has almost 20 movies (in .mpg & .avi) format of military jets in action. It features 4 movies of Tomcats passing Mach 1.

Fast Jet Movies (http://fastpasses.com/2656-21.html)

Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did! :p Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Souls.

MajorMadMax
10th Aug 2003, 11:46
SPIT, I PM'd ya with my email address. Thanks much! :ok:

What a great thread, we need more pics and vids!

Cheers to you all! M2

Tourist
10th Aug 2003, 15:40
Some of the videos on that website purport to be of supersonic passes. Having been on the deck of a CVS when a F-14 did pass supersonic, I can tell you that the result is very different. Three seakings trashed while rotors running on deck and extensive damage to the carrier. F14 pilot sent home from Gulf:rolleyes:

Soulman
10th Aug 2003, 16:09
Hey Tourist,

Thanks for the info regarding your experience on witnessing a sonic boom, the details sound pretty scary! Apart from the damage to the carrier and the helicopters, how were your ears? :p

Have you recovered yet?!?

Souls.

HAL Pilot
12th Aug 2003, 04:19
Having been on the deck of a CVS when a F-14 did pass supersonic, I can tell you that the result is very different. Three seakings trashed while rotors running on deck and extensive damage to the carrier. F14 pilot sent home from Gulf I'm going to have to wave the BS flag on this one.

First, U.S. aircraft carriers are CV or CVN, the U.S. Navy has not used the CVS designation for over 30 years. Any active Navy pilot or sailor would know this and would not call the boat a CVS. I am assuming you meant a U.S. boat since they are the only ones flying F-14s. If you meant a Brit boat, the F-14 would not get that close without permission from the Brit's air traffic control.

Second, I have witnesses many close aboard F-14 and F/A-18 supersonic low passes from the decks of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, USS John F. Kennedy and USS Carl Vinson. Never has any of the carriers or aircraft on board received any damage. I will admit we never had a helo on deck with rotors turning, but there were helos in the air just off the starboard side at desk and island height.

Third, when standing at the deck edge watching the supersonic passes, you did not feel any significant change in the wind velocity or atmospheric pressure. The only discomfort or noticable effect was sound (the sonic boom). Without proper ear protection, they hurt. With proper protection, it was still very loud.

Tourist
12th Aug 2003, 09:14
HAL.
Yes it did have permission from flyco.(though not supersonic as far as I know)
It was a british CVS. they were returning the favour after a puffjet flyby earlier
It was very close.
All helos were chocked and lashed.
All were shifted sidways breaking tailwheel locks etc and scaring sh1t out of crew.
No BS

HAL Pilot
12th Aug 2003, 10:52
We had H-3s on the USS Theodore Roosevelt too. The standard spot for the alert helo was at the end of the angle deck, the closest place to any flyby. (Flybys never happened duing launch or recovery). Depending on the alert status, their rotors were not always folded. Never did any receive damage to their tailwheel locks or to their rotor blades from flybys. As the Officer of the Deck, I would have received any damage reports.

Except for the "showmanship", supersonic flybys are just not that big of a deal. I saw alot while onboard the TR. The F-14s and F/A-18s would love to come around for flybys after a period of straffing and bombing a spar towed behind the ship (which was a big spectator sport). Also, the ship's Navigator was an ex-F-14 squadron commander and pilot. He loved to show off. (If there are any USN F-14 bubbas here - it was Snort.)

Roland sizzers
12th Aug 2003, 21:11
Managed M1.8 at 6,000' in a Tornado F3 some 10 years ago. Sure somebody will top this? But it made the old Mighty Fin sing like a tuning fork. Incidently it was 1375Kts ground-speed on the TV Tabs.

Didn't select IAS in the HUD, beauty of older technology is that you can select the display of IAS or Mach but not both (I wasn't busting the Mach Limit!)

All ended in tears when the left reheat blew out and both DECU's lost control for a while. Deceleration was probably more impressive then the acceleration, especially for the nav who smacked his helmet on the TV Tabs and stayed stuck there whilst calling me a ****.

Wouldn't do it nowadays as too many people have tested the burning qualities of titanium.

Still, despite many critics the F3 will still give anything a run for its money in the 800kt IAS+ at low-level game - as witnessed in Oman not so long ago! 200kts of overtake looks impressive if you are a muddy running at 580kts from the threat.:ok: