PDA

View Full Version : Going to War on Drugs

Soulman
8th Aug 2003, 14:44
Hey Guys,

Noticed that a show titled 'The Need for Speed - Going to War on Drugs' will be airing on Australian TV next week. The program will feature on SBS on Tuesday evening at 8:30pm and provides an insight into the alleged drug use by US fighter pilots to aid in concentration levels during the recent conflicts.

In the latest Jamie Doran documentary, ‘the need for speed’ exposes how the Pentagon has been issuing a concoction of mind-altering drugs to its soldiers and airmen, resulting in the deaths of allied forces, innocent civilians and, almost certainly, their own men.

The advertisement features a lot of aerial footage and interviews, with one F-15E pilot saying he was 'fixed for the next 15 hours.'

A preview of it can be seen here (http://acftv.com/archive/article.asp?archive_id=19&)

Sounds like it could be a very interesting show. Has anybody seen or heard of it?

Cheers,

Souls.

Training Risky
8th Aug 2003, 21:02
I thought this thread was going to be about the CIA, fighting narco-rebels in Colombia.;)

Muppet Leader
8th Aug 2003, 21:35
This is something new ?

It has been going on for years.
This first came to light as far as I know, during the Vietnam conflict, with crews being prescribed "speed" and other "wake" inducing amphetamines, by the med officers, to keep aircrews going day after day.
:cool:

Grimweasel
8th Aug 2003, 21:45
There is even a film about it. See 'Jacob's Ladder' another 'Nam flick that shows the use of dexyamphetamine-sulphate on the troops. The US SF were issued it to try and make them more aggressive, but sacked it after a while due to the adverse side effects.
The Canadian CF18 pilot that shot the troops up in Afghanistan I think purported that he too had been given pills to keep him awake for 15hrs. I think that he tried to get away with the charge on the basis that the drugs had altered his thought patterns.

SPIT
9th Aug 2003, 01:23
Just a quick question, what were the so called wakey-wakey pills given to RAF Bomber Crews in WW2??:confused: :confused:

OldBonaMate
9th Aug 2003, 02:22
Grimweasel

"The Canadian CF18 pilot that shot the troops up in Afghanistan I think purported that he too had been given pills to keep him awake for 15hrs. "

Which Canadian CF18 pilot? Are you sure you don't mean the US ANG pilot who bombed a bunch of Canadian troops when he mistook their weapon flashes as hostile fire when he flew over a pre-notified live fire night exercise and attacked them in 'self-defence'?

OBM

Flash2001
9th Aug 2003, 04:12
There is mention in a couple of books written right after WW2 of RAF fighter pilots being given a daily dose of benzedrene as a matter of routine. There is also a suggestion that the dosage was determined solely by the M.O.

After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again!

Huron Topp
9th Aug 2003, 11:19
OBM, you beat me to it. Cheers:ok:

EESDL
9th Aug 2003, 18:06
Tamazapan has been a regular mind-altering drug to facilitate intensive night ops in NI since the early 90s. Side affects are legendary.

FishHead
11th Aug 2003, 07:06
Temazapan? Assuming this is the same trade-name for the drug used 'down-under', then it's a product designed to induce sleep... although I believe technically it's a muscle relaxant which facilitates a resting state, rather than inducing sleep itself.

What are the side effects that have become 'legendary'? The only one that I have noticed myself after fairly extensive use is drowsiness!! Perhaps it's the combination of alcohol and temaz that prevented bad effects from showing up :p

Disclaimer for medico types.... Naturally, I would never have combined alcoholic drinks with a benzodiazepine product

ragspanner
11th Aug 2003, 08:18
Diazepam has been in use for some time,at least since the Falklands war to my own personal knowledge. It is administered before night or extended ops. The idea being that an extended & deeper period of sleep before flight will increase the period during which 'useful' alertness can be maintained.
Valium is a proprietary form of the benzodiazepine diazepam & some of its 'nastier' side effects are well known & well documented,drowsiness!!,dizziness,headache,dry mouth,urinary retention,shallow breathing & hypersensitivity. It can (if taken over an extended period) be highly addictive.

P.S. I normally go to work on an egg:8 .

steamchicken
11th Aug 2003, 20:15
Temazepam - as immortalised by the great Shaun Ryder in his song "Tramazi Party". A mammoth tranquilliser served in capsules known as Eggs. Scousers and Glaswegians developed a weird habit a few years ago of melting the contents and injecting them into the veins - with possible side effects including GANGRENE! - apparently because they liked it. Can't see the fun in taking pills that make you tranquil myself, especially not if they make your hand turn black and drop off. But there you have it.

Grimweasel
12th Aug 2003, 02:53
OBM.... Sorry, you are right. I stand corrected. No offence to the Canadian Defence force meant.:ok: