PDA

View Full Version : 747 ? Emergency at Durban ?

Gunship
8th Aug 2003, 05:15
Unconfirmed rumour has it that a Boeing 747 on a flight to Cape Town via East London experienced hydraulic failure and had to return to Durban and do an emergency landing.

Fire crews were on stand by and all went well with the landing.

All passengers are OK and are receiving trauma councelling and will be put on another flight today ??

Sounds "serious" if they had to do trauma councelling ?

Cheers,

Gunnzzz back in West Africa :)

planecrazi
8th Aug 2003, 13:36
Would this be over head ELV or landing in which case he would need every bit of hydraulics I would think!
Do B747's go into East London these days?

Gunship
8th Aug 2003, 14:51
Lo Planecrazi !

Yeah one of the reasons foir having so many question marks was the fact that I have never heard of a 747 going into East London ?

Pure rumour - let's see when one of the fish bowls are at work in Durbs and will give us the hotties :D

Sir Cumference
8th Aug 2003, 20:19
The fishbowl in Durbs is working!! The aircraft was a 737 not -800, old one and it apparently lost the hydraulics and there was concern about the nose-wheel steering. The news also had reports about "trauma councilling" etc. Very dramatic photo in the press with the aircraft on the runway and multiple fire-engines, emergency vehicles et al.

planecrazi
10th Aug 2003, 01:16
W4,
I have forgotten what a trimmer is!

I believe I found the word "trim" somewhere in the emergency section of the Airbus A340 manual. Amazing what you can forget these days!!:D

skyvan
10th Aug 2003, 06:11
The Durban hydraulic failure was an SAA 737, while there was a Comair 737 with the same problem going back to JNB at about the same time.

Successful outcomes in both cases. Well done guys.