PDA

View Full Version : S/O Requirements?

GA Driver
7th Aug 2003, 15:07
I could be going blind here, but I can't seem to find where it says the S/O minimums are anymore. Can anyone help?

Or have they been removed in an attempt to reduce applications???

Cheers
GA Driver

404 Titan
7th Aug 2003, 16:45
GA Driver

The minimum requirements for Direct Entry Second Officer applicants are:

1. A current ICAO Airline Transport Pilot Licence or a Commercial Pilot Licence (obtained without exemptions) with a pass in all ATPL ground examinations
2. A valid multi-engine instrument rating
3. A minimum of 1,000 hours fixed wing (preference is given to applicants with turbine or multi-engine experience)
4. Experience commensurate with age
5. Able to satisfy Hong Kong aviation medical requirements
6. Fluent spoken & written English.

Hope this helps.
:)

GA Driver
7th Aug 2003, 16:46
Thanks sony/404 Titan.

Whats the general consensus on sending a CV at the moment?

I've read and re-read the website regarding current aviation challanges and also the page on sending an application to flight crew recruitment.

Do they end up in the bin or are they actually looking?

Has anyone sent an email/application through recently?

Any help appreciated

GA Driver

sally
8th Aug 2003, 07:05
As regards the min reqs..........what are your chances if you have all reqs for 2nd officer, but not currently flying and IR just expired ??

flyingcrazy
8th Aug 2003, 09:01
Sally,
Your IR/ME should be current. It will help you for sim checkride in 2nd interview. hope this help.

;)

BattleSTARGalatica
11th Aug 2003, 05:57
What would be the chances of someone on minimums actually getting in with CX? Has it been done before?

Sir Donald
11th Aug 2003, 17:45
Applicants with 500 hrs total time, single, joined as S/O's with
Qantas, so i don't know what the big philosophy is.
It is not just experience that CX is after, personality has a lot to do with it, as well as Technical competence, the way you talk, walk, dress,willing to live in HK with sincerety, not posing as a risk that you might get fed up and leave.
I do not know honestly, as HR is a tricky business.
One wrong look i guess and you are out.
At the end of the day be your self and give it your best, if you can sell ice to eskimos than your home and dry:ok:

happydriver
11th Aug 2003, 23:08
GA Driver

Sent my cv recently to CX and was pleasently surprised to recieve a reply along with their own formatted application form to fill out and return...(i say pleasently surprised because of all the negative comments about the current situation etc.)...am now waiting for their next correspondence...fingers crossed

My advice...just do it..or more appropriately just send it:ok:

777Efoh
11th Aug 2003, 23:17
Hi Happydriver,

May I ask what is your experience level and how long it took for them to send you the application form?

Good luck!

777EfoH

happydriver
12th Aug 2003, 13:20
777Efoh,

Within two weeks of my first correspondence with them.As for my experience i have a little over 3500hours on the baby boeings.

If you are thinking about applying i think this might be just the right time...never know til you give it a go.

Good luck to you too bud.:ok:

Obbie
24th Aug 2003, 05:00
Someone on another topic stated that if you are over 30 you are
out of the running for S/O positions.

Can someone who knows for sure confirm this ???

Thanks

404 Titan
24th Aug 2003, 10:17
Oldest S/O that I am aware of was 38 when he started.

slice
25th Aug 2003, 00:55
404, do you know how many hours (and what type turboprop/jet) the 38 year old had?

404 Titan
25th Aug 2003, 01:07
Turboprop less than 20000 kg.

9M_JON
7th Sep 2003, 14:38
(I have posted this in the 3rd topic but maybe it's more appropriate here.)

Age Criteria for SO

I am doing preliminary research & a CX wannabe from S.E Asia.What a great forum, a treasure trove of information. Fantastic contributions & inputs.I am very appreciative of the time & effort rendered by all.Thanks especially to Titan 404!

I probably share Shenlin's predicament,with 3000+ hours mainly in multi engine pistons & single engine turbo props w/o any jet (100hrs). However this is because I am a military pilot with a major portion of my hours dedicated to instructing ab-initio & multi engine rather than operational flying.I am 36 & will be 38 when I leave with CPL/ATPL.Will CX consider this in their experience commenstruate with age during their screening criteria.I believe that the max is 40.Will I even have a chance to be shortlisted?

Alternative would be to join a regional to get 1000 hrs but that will be 2 years at least and a long detour.

Can anyone with similar military flying background in CX shed some light on this.

:confused:

RoSiPaSi
18th Sep 2003, 23:43
I have read the above posts and have found them useful.

Just had a specific question pertaining to academic requirements. I am ineligible (at this stage) to apply for Qantas as i fall short by 6% in a required subject. QF requires a pass in English, Maths and Physics at tertiary entrance level. Its been ten years since i sat my tertiary entrance exams, but am intending to attend a bridging course to better my mark.

This will be put on hold for a while as i am going overseas to chase some turbine time. Consequently, my QF application will be on hold till this is completed... unless i can complete a course via correspondence.

I intend to apply to CX in the mean time, however am wondering if there are any similar academic requirements?

I have passed various tertiary level subjects as well... would that count for anything?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Rosi

404 Titan
19th Sep 2003, 11:29
RoSiPaSi

The requirements for direct entry S/O at CX are as I have stated earlier in this thread. At present CX does not require passes in year 12 Math’s, Physics and English per say. They do though want to know what education levels you have obtained. This is completely different from the Cadet program where you must have passed year 12 or equivalent Math’s and Physics.

Hope this helps.
:)