PDA

View Full Version : Virgin cabin Crew?

Kelas
6th Aug 2003, 23:27
Hiya,

My sister has recently been given an interview with Virgin Atlantic Airways. Anybody out there who can give me some info on what they are looking for in a potential candidate? This would be much appreciated.

monarchgirl
7th Aug 2003, 04:12
Hi,

You'll find a search option on ther top right hand of the screen. Type Virgin, you'll get loads of info. Good luck!!

Kelas
7th Aug 2003, 17:20
Thank you very much monarchgirl. Your help is appreciated.

pollypocket36
9th Aug 2003, 04:35
Hi there,

I used to work for them and hated it from the initial training course. I found the airline to be MOSTLY (not all) unfriendly, very junior/senior, **** wages and basically crap. However I met a few good friends while I was there. but I would inform you sister that are much better and more friendly airlines to work for.

Sorry to put a downer on the situation but just giving you some advice.

Good luck!

Kelas
11th Aug 2003, 00:02
Hi Pollypocket36 and Monarchgirl,

Cheers for all the information.....I will pass all the info (good and bad) and let my sister make an informed decision. Her interview is sometime tomorrow!.

Enjoy the sun.

AIRWAY
11th Aug 2003, 00:22
Im not gona comment if they are crap or not, but if your sister is new to aviation, i think she should try and give it ago at Virgin... You never know, some people like it some dont.

Kelas
11th Aug 2003, 02:38
Hi Airway,

She currently works for VS in the CR department but I know that being cabin crew is very different from other departments in an airline.

Southern Belle
13th Aug 2003, 03:05
Sorry that Polly Pocket didn't like Virgin however....

I have worked for Virgin for the last 7 years and have loved every minute of it. Generally I think that most of the crew do enjoy it and the proof is in the amount of crew that have been working since day 1. It's not the easiest job in the world but is very rewarding. Having spoken to new crew on line who have come from other airlines (mainly charter) they speak very highly of virgin and how much better conditions are. We aren't the best paid in the industry but I do believe we have a lot of fun and things are improving. Most notably the standard and location of hotels (with the exception of LAX). In 7 years I have met some wonderful people and made the closest friends a girl could wish for. I have just come back from a very tiring flight but the team effort and spirit of the crew I was working with made it all worthwhile. Tell your sister to go with an open mind and to be herself in the interview. Lots of smiles work wonders and manners go along way. Good body language and tell her to encourage the quieter members of the group to participate in the group exercises. I cant stress how lucky I feel to be doing a job that I still enjoy and love so much after seven years, I hope this helps

dickyflys
13th Aug 2003, 09:05
The mumber of crew from day 1? Ermm count them on one hand? Oh please, Virgin is known worldwide for being low paid, overworked and awful to work for. And the last few remaining from day 1 LOVE to tell you how bad it is, with quite colourful language!

Lets count the turnover in crew numbers? HUGE! Courses taking place constantly to try and catch up with the numbers that leave.

This is a smart airline. Recruit young, low pay, work hard, play hard. No incentive to make a career in pay points or decent pension. Earn the same as a new IFS or as a 19 year IFS. Result is that there is a HUGE turnover, with lots of new and keen crew to smile at passengers. Virgin wins all around.

Definitely apply, see the world, have a couple of years of fun, then get a proper job. Good luck, you will have a great time.

G-ALAN
15th Aug 2003, 02:00
Could someone possibly tell me what the salary is roughly for Junior FA with Virgin? I have an interview with them on the 3rd of September. Reading this thread there are mixed opinions of the airline so I'm not so sure about them now.

frangatang
20th Aug 2003, 16:13
Virgin pee all over BA.Its simple really,if you pay em too much they hang around to become overweight pot boilers,bitching and moaning,without the faintest idea about service,bang out the grub,shutters down and get to bed ASAP,or even first class now that it is empty due to lack of cabin crew. Virgin every time