PDA

View Full Version : New VIP BBJ schedules operator from the UK?

Kelas
6th Aug 2003, 20:23
Can anyone shed some light on the following:

Rumour has it that a new airline is planned for the summer of 2004. They plan to start operating with a leased BBJ in 48 pax config. The aim is for a all first/business class airline operating from one of the smaller airports around london to New York 5 to 6 times a week (a bit like what DLH currently do in partnership with Privatair!)

Does anyone know anything??????

LGS6753
7th Aug 2003, 03:53
There was talk of the lovely R Branson doing this ex-Luton a couple of years back.
I think it was scuppered by Sept 11

Kelas
7th Aug 2003, 17:16
Hi LGS6753,

I vaguely remember something about RB wanting to start an all business class airline from either LTN or Farnborough. Privatair have been quoted as saying that several major European airlines have approached them with a view to begin such operations (Airliner world - August issue). It will be interesting to see who gets involved - VS and BA can't really afford to loose out on their most lucrative customers to a new comer so I can envisage them getting involved!

Aviation Trainer too
7th Aug 2003, 17:44
Hahahahaha Blue Fox is not death yet..... just lost.. they have been dreaming about this for ages...

ps from STN to New York from the old STN terminal.... (??????)

Kelas
7th Aug 2003, 19:03
Aviation trainer too,

I remember when the rumour of Blue Fox first began, general consensus in the industry was that an all business class airline would not work with the dawning of low cost airlines.....now airlines like Lufthansa and Qatar Airways are reporting success with the BBJ and A319CJ on long haul routes!!!

Credit to them.

Eurekadelta
8th Aug 2003, 01:55
... remember that there is a significant difference between any new start-up and a major player like Lufthansa.

Lufthansa have a large body of loyal business class customers AND are able to draw on the loyal customers of their Alliance partners such as United.

It is much more difficult for any new airline to fill aircraft - let alone with the cream of the crop - Premium Fare business class passengers who are usually strongly bound to one airline through some sort of Frequent Flyer Scheme.

I applaud any new airline that is able to make a sound business case to start up in this difficult climate, but competing head on with the majors, on their turf (business class), on one of the most hotly contested routes in the world sounds like suicide to me.

I would gladly be proven wrong!

LGS6753
8th Aug 2003, 03:39
Hi Aviation Trainer Too,

Lots of?s, but the old terminal at Stansted?
:confused:

What VVIPs want to trek off into the depths of east anglia to get on their own aircraft?

OK, of you're paying MOL 2p to go for an awayday you don't mind, but if you're paying squillions, you want to go from somewhere nearby.

The monied classes are voting for LTN with their feet (seen the number of bizjets there?), and I guess Farnborough's got a good catchment area.

Anyone considering Stansted will need an exceptional deal from BAA to make it a starter.

Buster the Bear
8th Aug 2003, 04:06
On the basis that the other London airports, rumour has it, cross subsidise London Essex, an exceptional deal MUST be available!

Just ask SkyEurope, Flying Finn, Norwegian....etc....etc!

FEBA
9th Aug 2003, 18:30
This is more than a sound business idea, it's got niche market written all over it. I hear that this project has the backing of one notable politician.
Anybody out there that is directly involved with this venture please contact me by private message. I would be very keen to be involved as well.
Thanks
FEBA

Aviation Trainer too
11th Aug 2003, 15:48
If somebody like VS or BA get involved I can see it happen. The main reason it works from Munchen is threefold, no direct alternative, major name (LH) and sufficient Business traffic.

The problem with London is that as a Business Pax I prefer BA as I have the option to take any of the earlier or latter flights rather than having to wait in any kind of lounge Blue fox had in mind. That is even worth navigating the M25 at peak hour.