PDA

View Full Version : Düsseldorf-Kabul, first flight yesterday

SailorOrion
6th Aug 2003, 16:46
Yesterday evening, the first scheduled flight from Düsseldorf to Kabul departed DUS with around 150 passengers on board. Let's hope they all come back home healthy.

Good luck to LTU with this flight.

SailorOrion

Aviation Trainer too
6th Aug 2003, 17:09
Saw a Ariane Afghan A300 in FRA the other day.. Good to see the country getting back to normal!

Jordan D
6th Aug 2003, 17:52
Is there any truth in the story I heard a long time ago, that EK donated/loaned 1 or 2 aircraft to help Ariane rebuild the fleet?

Jordan

Golf Charlie Charlie
6th Aug 2003, 20:31
I am pretty sure Indian Airlines or maybe Air India leased or sold some A300s to Ariana after the Taleban government was overthrown end-2001. I am not sure what has happened since. I don't think Emirates has ever operated A300s. Ariana also have two ex-United 747-200s.

Jordan D
6th Aug 2003, 22:30
I don't think it was AI seeing as they operate a mostly Boeing fleet, and need all the aircraft they can get there hands on atm!

Jordan

SLF@LBA
7th Aug 2003, 02:10
Taken from Air India web site (news releases) March 7th, 2003:

The last of the three Airbus 300-B4s in Air-India’s fleet, ‘Ganga’ (VT-EHN), was handed over to Mr Abdul Hamid Karzai, President of Afghanistan, by Mr Syed Shahnawaz Hussain, Hon’ble Minister of Civil Aviation, at a function held at IGI Airport in New Delhi today.

The delivery of the aircraft was effected soon after a ‘C’ check to enable Ariana Afghan Airlines use the aircraft uninterruptedly for the next 4,000 flying hours. This was done in view of limited technical manpower available with Ariana Afghan Airlines.

It may be recalled that two other A300-B4s, ‘Godavari’ (VT-EHO) and ‘Cauvery’ (VT-EHQ), were delivered to Ariana Afghan Airlines on August 9 and December 23, 2002 respectively. The aircraft, which were deployed by Ariana for Haj flights, are being used by the airline to operate their commercial services to Sharjah, Turkey and Germany.

Air-India’s personnel – operating crew and maintenance engineers – were deputed to Ariana to assist in the operations in the initial period. Air-India also imparted training to Ariana personnel at its facilities located at the Old Airport, Mumbai in the streams of operating crew, cabin crew, maintenance personnel, flight despatchers, quality control functions, production controls and ground handling. In addition, as a part of the package, several spare engines, basic spares and line maintenance tools were sent to Ariana Afghan Airlines.

Airbus 300-B4s, powered by two GE CF6-50C2 engines, were acquired by Air-India in 1982. The aircraft are configured to accommodate 232 passengers – 16 Executive Class and 216 Economy Class. Two pallets and 14 containers can be loaded in the lower holds and about nine tonnes of cargo can be carried on the aircraft. The aircraft, which meet the current noise standards (Chapter 3 requirements), can fly over a distance of 3,900 kilometres while carrying a payload of 31 tonnes.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
7th Aug 2003, 04:06
"The last of the three Airbus 300-B4s in Air-India’s fleet, ‘Ganga’"

Ganja IN to Afghanistan??? Surely some mistake!!!!!!

crewmeal
7th Aug 2003, 05:58
Any jobs going for Cabin Crew?

Jordan D
7th Aug 2003, 23:40
SLF@LBA,

thanks for showing how little I know!

Jordan