PDA

View Full Version : Bristol - Shipshape and easy Fashion

MerchantVenturer
5th Aug 2003, 20:41
Commenting via their official website on the new easyJet route between Bristol and Newcastle, BRS management state that 20,000 people from the Bristol area have already booked for the service.

According to the airport, easyJet currently accounts for over 35,000 of the 105,000 pax passing through BRS each week. Given that easyJet has 141 weekly arrivals and 141 weekly departures at BRS this gives an average loading of 124 on the 148-seat B 733, or 84%.

Whilst the overall pax figures quoted are those for the summer the airport is still on track for significant growth this year (following outperformance after the arrival of Go/easyJet in the previous two years) from over 3.5 million to 4 million annual pax.

In the same article easyJet CEO, Ray Webster is quoted, "easyJet are delighted with the support for all our Bristol services, and we are committed to growth from the region, and intend to announce more new routes in the near future."

dwlpl
5th Aug 2003, 22:07
Must be the time to publicise how well the airline is doing in the UK. Here is easyJet/Liverpool Airport press release stating how the easyJet services are doing from LPL.

easyJet growth buoyant at Liverpool August 2003

easyJet has achieved a seventh consecutive month of passenger growth at Liverpool airport in 2003.

203,067 passengers travelled with easyJet in July, up 6% over July last year.

Year-on-year increases for the January to June period also, saw monthly passenger numbers remain around 200,000.

This figure was reached only in the peak Summer months during 2002.

"Liverpool remains one of our strongest-performing bases in Europe," said easyJet’s North West market manager Judith Steele.

Alicante was the most recent route to be added by easyJet, in January.

Since then 62,000 passengers have travelled on the route and 88% of the seats have been filled.

Internet bookings on routes from Liverpool for the period exceeded 95% for the first time ever in an airline’s history.

"Passengers still can’t get the level of fares from Manchester that they’re getting week in, week out from Liverpool," said Miss Steele.

"The average air fare from Manchester is still over £500 – easyJet’s average fare is a fifth of that."

"easyJet remains the one to beat for low fares in the North West," she said

Wee Weasley Welshman
5th Aug 2003, 23:41
Rumours of a 6th easy aircraft at BRS are rife. Speculation centres on Rome, Brussels and Amsterdam.

That said they have just installed a load of new computers and painted the crewroom so the base will likely be shut by Christmas.

:)

MerchantVenturer
5th Aug 2003, 23:54
WWW,

Any new routes would be welcome but AMS and BRU are already covered pretty well by Cityhopper and SNBrussels. Perhaps I had better spend my Flying Dutchman miles before their route goes from BRS. :)

Rome (together with Ibiza) were the two routes that Go tried from BRS that apparently did not work.

Personally, I would love GVA and LPL, but I remember you saying recently that you thought a 737 would be too big for BRS-LPL.

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Aug 2003, 03:39
IBZ was great in the summer peaks - could have filled a 747 June to Sept. But you need 352 day routes out of smaller bases.

SN Brussels airlines charge upward of £300 for BRS BRU if you want midweek at shortish notice. I've seen their 146's depart with 12 pax and their commitment varies wildly between thrice daily to once which hardly 'builds' the route.

Amsterdam is a major easy base with a large number of rotations and built in ground support. Adding BRS seems quick and easy.

Rome was tried and chopped. Still think there might be a market for it - there is a suprising number of Italians settled in South Wales and the West Country plus is really is a kicking city. Much more fun than the Barcelonas and Pragues of this weekend break world.

As for other people already offering the routes. I don't recall Brymon shifting 750 one way seats a day out of BRS to Scotland..? Offer the seats - and they will come... ;)

Cheers,

eastern wiseguy
6th Aug 2003, 04:40
WWW wrote

Offer the seats - and they will come...

I am a firm believer in that!!The loads shifted from BFS-LPL on a daily basis are testament to that.....with that in mind and as one in the know any rumours regarding some CONTINENTAL routes ex BFS?I understand more crews have been advertised for...:ok:

dwlpl
6th Aug 2003, 06:10
The loads shifted from BFS-LPL on a daily basis are testament to that..

This route (Liverpool/Belfast Int) is the biggest domestic UK route that does not use a London airport. The route carried nearly 550,000 pax last year and is on average 22% up per month this year compared to the same period last year.

stalling attitude
6th Aug 2003, 06:48
paris seems to be the hot favourite new route for easy from brs

'PlaneHappy
7th Aug 2003, 07:53
BA offers pretty good prices on its BRS-CDG-BRS services, such as 68GBP return if you depart BRS on a Saturday and arrive back into BRS on the Sunday.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned GVA as a possible new Easy destination from BRS.

Let's hope that it is either AMS, CDG or GVA, and, whichever it is, that there is at least two daily rotations, thereby enabling a day return.

MerchantVenturer
9th Aug 2003, 19:02
'PlaneHappy,

I mentioned BRS-GVA as a possible route - it would suit me personally very well.

I would also like BRS-LPL, having just spent well over three hours struggling back from North Cheshire by road, a trip I make regularly to see family.

WWW,

I take your point about routes having to be well utilised year-round (incidentally is BRS-BFS at three rotations each weekday well-used?), but as a regional punter what slightly concerns me is that if easy did fly BRS-AMS, BRS-CDG this might in very quick time remove the likes of KLM and Air France from the routes. Now these airlines offer connections worldwide and I have used KLM many times over the years to fly inter-continental. Much better than flogging up the M4 or even on God's Wonderful Railway to get a flight from LHR.

Much as I love the remarkable transformation that easy has brought to BRS's scheduled routes, I still like the inter-continental option as well. Perhaps I am being unrealistic or greedy to want both. Or perhaps, as you say, easy's prices would engender more traffic on the routes and the current airlines could live in harmony with easy.

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Aug 2003, 20:48
Well. I suspect the only reason you haven't seen a low cost airline connect BRS and AMS CDG is because this would mean the full service airlines pulling off the route and therefore the airport would loose revenue as the likes of Air France pay higher fees than the likes of easyJet.

Its all smoke and mirrors this business.

'PlaneHappy
10th Aug 2003, 05:24
I mentioned BRS-GVA as a possible route

Ah, I see. Yeah, it's a possibility.

I just returned from an 12 hour overland trip from East Yorkshire to Devon (my home county). It took so long because I did it by National Express - it would have taken perhaps 8-9 hours by car and cost much more in fuel. If only there was an air connection between an airfield near Bridlington and BRS or better still the minute airfield near me. :D :ok: