PDA

View Full Version : QF Emergency Darwin

Under the Hood
5th Aug 2003, 07:03
I hear a 73 or 76 had an emergency landing at Darwin this morning. Engine out?? What's the news?:confused:

CoodaShooda
5th Aug 2003, 07:38
According to less hysterical news reports:

Morning flight to Cairns (737) turned back after 15 minutes with engine trouble. Landed without drama with one shut down.

Passengers interviewed report hearing a rumbling noise and that the aircraft subsequently landed normally.

Rather different to the breathless reports of a 767 pulling off an emergency landing initially running on ABC. :rolleyes:

ur2
5th Aug 2003, 14:03
Not quite a normal landing !

CoodaShooda
5th Aug 2003, 14:25
Agreed ur2 but that was the comment from a pax interviewed on morning radio.

Makes a nice change from the "Omigod we're all going to die" type of comment usually attributed to affected passengers.

VTM
5th Aug 2003, 14:49
Birdstrike, damaged engine and nosecowl.

Pimp Daddy
5th Aug 2003, 16:38
I guess that's why the guys were loading up the rescue truck in the MEL hanger this arvo. One CFM plus changing gear ready to roll.

Raider1
5th Aug 2003, 18:05
Was surprised it wasnt reported as caused by a croc on the runway but then again I guess the NT news doesnt have an edition until tomorrow lol.
:D

Pinky the pilot
5th Aug 2003, 18:30
Commercial AM radio station in SA mentioned engine 'bursting in to flames' on news highlights at one stage during the day.:mad:
Never let the facts etc......:*

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

compressor stall
5th Aug 2003, 18:53
by Josh Inu, staff aviation writer.

The feeling of relief at a near death experience filled the terminal at Darwin's Airport last night. The Qantas 757 Airbus had one of its engines explode on takeoff from the tropical airport. After shutting down the engines, the aircraft returned for a hard landing after alerting emergency services, including the Darwin Hospital. Frightened survivors, visibly shaken after the emergency landing spoke of their ordeal.

Mother, Beth McCubbin, 43 of Parramatta said, "I thought I was going to die. I saw a huge explosion and the propeller was broken. It was burning and everyone was screaming." Her twin 5 year old daughters clutched their teddy bears tightly with tears in in their blue eyes.

The accident is the latest of a long series of troubles to plague the belaugured airline. It comes weeks after an unscheduled landing after a red warning light flashed in the cockpit.

A Qantas spokeswoman was unavailable for comment. The Darwin Airport Authority confirmed that an airliner had made an emergency landing.

Brian, 45 a mechanic from the Darwin suburb of Humpty-Doo had a more sinister theory. Hunting for feral pigs with his crossbow on the perimiter fence, he saw a giant crocodile chase a flock of birds into the air. "yeah, they just flew up and entered the engine and it went bang."

The civil aviation services authority is investigating.

Three Bars
5th Aug 2003, 19:14
Hey CS,

You didn't credit the news organisation that you lifted the story from!

:p :E :ok:

goldeneagle
5th Aug 2003, 19:43
:) Those damn twin engine cessna warriors again!

SixStarAnsett
5th Aug 2003, 19:48
compressor stall,

I have to say this. In all of my years of schooling and study etc that would have to be the funniest and best-written piece I've ever read. And I'm an @rsehole to impress. :E

SixStarAnsett

Continental-520
5th Aug 2003, 22:10
Very amusing indeed.

Hope they weren't below the 'Glide Scope' during the near crash landing.

compressor stall
5th Aug 2003, 23:50
Channel 9 late night news here in WA.

"138 passengers had a lucky escape today in Darwin after a bird flew into one of the engines."

"Passengers on the right side of the aircrafrt saw flames coming from the rear of the engine"

and an interview with an English lady in her late 30's

"It was a worry - when you have 4 kids with you, you start thinking "Oh No!" ".

Ah well, close enough!!!!! ;) :} :ugh:

Maybe the bird had links to Al Quaeda or JI? :bored:

Tinstaafl
6th Aug 2003, 00:34
If she didn't have 4 kids with her would that mean she wouldn't think at all?

Cap10 Caveman
6th Aug 2003, 08:23
I like your first version better CS. Great work! :ok:

Traffic
6th Aug 2003, 12:11
Tinstaafl

I would have thought that the fact she has 4 kids and is travelling with them all means she doesn't think at all...

SkySista
6th Aug 2003, 15:38
Compressor Stall,

that was great! Had me just about off my chair laughing.... you know, you could get a job replacing half the journos in this country! And it'd probably be an improvement! ;)

The best bit of journalistic "genius" I've heard was the Channel Nine anchorwoman who called the 744 brake fire in Syd an "emergency landing gone wrong". What the heck is that exactly?

Anyway. We all just *know* there'll be the "Omigod" comments for the slightest mishap.... :rolleyes:

SkySista