PDA

View Full Version : Secret Helicopter

bugdevheli
4th Aug 2003, 06:07
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/300701/hover2.jpg

The result of ten months damned hard work!!!

Thomas coupling
4th Aug 2003, 08:12
Some people simply have too much free time on their hands.

What do you intend to do with this!

pohm1
4th Aug 2003, 11:10
Bugdevheli,

Take no notice of TC, he said the same to Frank!!:ok:

CRAN
4th Aug 2003, 19:17
Very Impressive,

Why not tell us a little about it...

Performance
Cost
Attributes

CRAN
:)

bugdevheli
5th Aug 2003, 02:58
Designed and built in ten months made everything except the engine (500cc air cooled Rotax) Sitca spruce blades with glass fibre skin, alloy and fibre glass body. The picture shows its first tethered hover. Gotta show Frank we can do it in the UK in less than 22 attempts.

slowrotor
5th Aug 2003, 04:08
Bugdevheli,

Looks great!
There maybe hope for the sport heli after all.
Love to hear more details when you get back down to earth.
Rotor diameter?
Empty weight?
Rotor Head Type?
Do you plan to sell plans when the testing is complete?

bugdevheli
5th Aug 2003, 05:48
Slowrotor. 20ft rotor span,8inch cord 0012. tail rotor 4 inch cord 0012. underslung teetering rotor head machined from solid alloy.main and tail rotor driven via v belts through a 90 digree gearbox to get drive from a horizontally mounted rotax. empty weight 385lbs. my calcs said it should lift with 500 rpm on main rotor, but it would lift of at 360. the plan with this machine was to see if i could get the sums right. The machine was very stable and vibration free. It was not my intention to do anything more than a tetherd test with this machine, it was purely to see whether i had the correct set up. I am now working on mk3 using a three cylinder bmw engine and a lot of composites to get that power to weight ratio improved.

Vfrpilotpb
5th Aug 2003, 15:27
I'd love to see this thing, is that poss?

Hey TC, show this to your local big wig, he could get rid of all the cars and have all of N Wales covered so non of us could break the speed limit:D

Regs Peter R-B

Spaced
6th Aug 2003, 15:31
bugdevheli, just curious as to the amount of sums you did before building, not being insulting it looks great.
Did you just work out what you needed and go from there? Or did you spend alot of time working out the parameters?
One more, what sort of vibration/structural analisys did you do?
Thanx

bugdevheli
7th Aug 2003, 04:28
Spaced. got hold of a computor programme to give me power requirements, rotor diameters and blade sections etc. Drew up a frame using the theory that if it looks right it must be right, and just worked on it day and night. the stress analysys was only calculated on the rotor system as this was the obvious one that would bite me if i got it wrong. Paid meticulous attention to blade balance. The mistakes i made were on the vee belt drives as they would slip if you pulled collective too fast. Whilst i know to correct proceedure would have been design, stress calcs, build,etc beacuse it was only intended as a tethered test bed, i learned more from actually making it. It seems a common problem with anyone thinking of building one that the more they think about it,the more problems they see, and it never gets made. The big problem is once you have done one you cant stop, im on my third

Spaced
7th Aug 2003, 07:56
bugdevheli, thanx, and yeh the more you design the more you need to know.
Are the blades composite, if so what costruction did you use.
When are you going to have a page so we can keep posted on the progress of the MK3.

Vfrpilotpb
7th Aug 2003, 16:40
Hi Bugdevheli,

Could you not get away from the belt drive! I am aware that belts will save weight , but they are a scource of possible problems, just of late I have been storing some textile machinery from a Swiss manufacturer, as any machinery interests me I was interested to see some very small 90Deg power transfer boxes that were coping with something in the region of 100 SHP these transfer boxes were made from what seemed like Ali or magnesium with power shafts about the same dia as the tail rotor shaft on the R22, just thinking on a little, a transfer box fastened directly onto the side of the engine would present less mounting problems further down(or up) the transmission shaft to the main rotor .
Anyway keep telling us how far you have got with your Mk3
Regards
PeterR-B

bugdevheli
9th Aug 2003, 06:35
Thanks for your interest vfrpilotpb and spaced. The blades on Bug 1 were hand carved/planed using templates, the wood was spruce. when the shape was correct, i applied a layer of glass fibre and then finished of with a gel coat to put the balance and centre of mass right. The finished blades gave me no problems at all. Regarding the belts. The drive to the rear rotor worked fine, but because of the reduction required from the engine to the 90 digree g/box in order to have a decent sized pulley on the crankshaft the pulley on the gearbox needed to be about 2 feet dia. Because it hovered, i just wanted to get on with mk2. you might be interseted in the latest machine i am working on! three and a half litre v8 tandem three seats 200hp called RAPTOR regards bug

B Sousa
9th Aug 2003, 14:05
Wait till Lu Zuckerman (with one N) sees this.....Hey, they said Orville Wright was crazy so I guess anything goes. Good Luck..

bugdevheli
11th Aug 2003, 03:21
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/300701/bugheli.jpg

Dave_Jackson
11th Aug 2003, 06:38
Beautiful :ok:

Tell us more. :8

slowrotor
11th Aug 2003, 13:06
Bug,
Nice looking body. You have our attention, whats inside?
:ooh:

bugdevheli
12th Aug 2003, 01:40
BMW K75 BMW rear angle box attatched to bell housing with a cush drive fitted inside. Then up a vertical shaft wich houses the sprag ,throught a ten to one chainwheel reduction to main mast. Rearwards drive throught v belts to tail.Now has head and blades on and has been run up. smooth as silk The tail end is carbon composite. Tempted to go all composite .