PDA

View Full Version : Pneumothorax and Class 1

Jimbo-in-debt
4th Aug 2003, 00:46
I've just graduated from university and am hoping to start my PPL this summer/autumn (at long last...) with a view to a career in commercial flying.

Three weeks ago I had a primary spontaneous pneumothorax in my left lung. I'd had two previous occurrences of the same condition, both in 1999, and was told that there was some chance I would 'grow out of it' - alas not! All three were diagnosed as 'small' pneumothoraces, and all three recovered completely within a few days.

I'm hoping to take my Class 1 medical in the next few weeks. What I'm keen to establish is whether a) my most recent pneumothorax, or b) my predisposition to having them, are likely to affect my chances of getting a Class 1. By predisposition I mean the fact that (in case you hadn't guessed already...) I'm 22, tall and thin.

Similarly, are there any implications for if/when I should start my PPL? I've been told not to fly for 6 weeks after recovery.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or info...much appreciated.

Jimbo.

PS Needless to say I'm trying to find out as much about the condition as I can, so if anybody knows any good resources on the web, I'd be very grateful...

Circuit Basher
4th Aug 2003, 03:08
Jimbo in Debt - (interesting place of origin! - my true descriptor should be Kirknewton / Dorset!)
Unqualified (medically), reference to JAR FCL3 (http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/43/52/435247/435247.pdf) (JAA Medical Regs) shows the following for both Class 1 (FCL 3.160) & Class 2 (FCL 3.275):
(e) Applicants with spontaneous pneumothorax shall be assessed as unfit pending full evaluation in compliance with paragraph 4 Appendix 2 to Subpart B.

Paragraph 4 of Appendix 2 to Subpart B states:

4 Spontaneous pneumothorax.
(a) Certification following a fully recovered single spontaneous pneumothorax may be acceptable after one year from the event with full respiratory evaluation.
(b) Recertification in multi-pilot (Class 1 ‘OML’) operations or under safety pilot (Class 2 ‘OSL’) conditions may be considered by the AMS if the applicant fully recovers from a single spontaneous pneumothorax after six weeks. Unrestricted recertification may be considered by the AMS after one year from the event with full respiratory investigation.

Basically looks like a minimum 12 month lay off with investigations into the cause.

A medic may express some more informed opinion!

Good luck :)

ausdoc
4th Aug 2003, 11:57
Depending on the regulator, recurrent spontaneous pneumothorax would normally be disqualifying. This is certainly the case for the military as well. It would be worth speaking with the CAA to determine where you stand. Sometimes certification can be gained after a successful pleurectomy or pleurodesis. These procedures basically stick the lung to the inside of the chest wall so that a pneumothorax can't form.

Cheers,

ausdoc

Nani
4th Aug 2003, 12:25
Jimbo-in-debt,

I too had spontaneous pneumothorax about the same age you are. It was the right side and occured about a week apart.
In my case,since it was the right side with a swimmer's lung,my surgeon decided to go through with the operation rather than rely on 'growing out" phase.

This was 25 years ago without any recurrence. During check ups,you may get few questions and raised eyebrows about the staples showing up on the chest X-ray.