View Full Version : Ryanair training cost-differences between "approved" FTO's ?

Galland
3rd Aug 2003, 19:29
Hello fellow Aviators,

A few questions, in order to satisfy my curiosity...

What's the cost of training if one wants to fly for Ryanair ?

I understand that you have to pay for your own type rating, but one can only obtain it through one of their partner FTO's.

However, why is there such a difference in cost...

At the TRTO where I did my MCC they charge you around 16.000 Euro for a 738 TR. The quotes I got from their FTO's are somewhat beyond 20.000 Euro.
How come ?

And what about line training ? I have heard through the grapewine that Ryan even charges you for that.
Can that be possible-I mean at that point one is already effectively working for them, being a crewmember and flying with SLF in the back.

Also are there any differences between the three FTO's in NL, Sweden and UK, regarding cost, application and screening procedures ?

Any info welcome.

Aviation Trainer too
4th Aug 2003, 15:51
The answer is rather straight forward.

If you go to a TRTO they can train you for a generaric Type Qualification. I.e. just using the Boeing Procedures and minimum hours.

A company TQ is usually longer, uses more sim time, has company specific add on's like low viz etc.

A lot of people think that if you go and buy a rating from company X you can start flying at an airline who operates the aircraft. The answer is no! Most airlines want to put you through a sim as well to at least know the company procedures etc... So my advise is always: only buy a type rating if there is a change to work for a company at the end.

As far as I know there is no charge at FR for the line training only when you leave early. Just like a bond at any other airline.

The other questions I do not know but would be interested in.