PDA

View Full Version : Maldives Airport

Jinkster
3rd Aug 2003, 17:07
Maldives Airport

Saw a postcard the other day of the Maldives Airport = looks like a great approach over the coral reefs :cool:

Ahhh one day - now where is that revision book

Jinkster

kumul1
4th Aug 2003, 00:32
With a North/ South runway, i'ts not as pretty at 3 AM with an easterly. Then again those float guys got it right with HJ ops only.:ok:

Jinkster
4th Aug 2003, 02:03
the mataxi sounds a very good way to fly - anybody know the licensing requirements.

Jinkster

Basil
6th Aug 2003, 16:09
If we're talking about Male (cf Gan):

Locals have a habit of walking/driving across the runway during your take-off roll :uhoh:

Beautiful arrival esp if one descends early for a look at the little islands on the way in.

Blue Panorama
7th Aug 2003, 05:57
Keep your eyes peeled. There are plenty of wet bottoms flying around. They normally know about you from miles away, but worth keeping them open. Always a crosswind, generally from the East. They don't like you flying over the islands either, especially not the Presidential porcelain on Male.

Great place to stop if you got somewhere nice to stay. Can be a bit tedious on Male or airport hotel without getting out to a resort. Got a good number for a taxi boat if anyone needs one.

:cool:

Johnman
8th Aug 2003, 03:54
What is the best time of the year to go there and a nice hotel to stay?. What are the comments on the airport ?.How is the food?

Thread Bear
8th Aug 2003, 12:49
I hear the diving is world class - I'm going there one day. Hopefully before it sinks!!

http://www.internationalreports.net/asiapacific/maldives/2002/images/25.jpg

Bewdiful...

Here's a picture of the airport.

http://maldive.com/images/tour/hulule.jpg

T.B

Silkman
10th Aug 2003, 06:43
Johnman

I am fortunate to have been several times to these wonderful islands. It is an expensive holiday but I found the Universal chain of resorts good which include the islands of Kurumba and Fulll Moon. The price was reasonable whilst still comfortable.
On the luxury scale, there is the Maldives Hilton, which is expensive for what you get.

Best time of year is probably November to February, although I have been in June and the weather was fine.

Try the scuba diving, it's fantastic. I had'nt tried it before I went to the Maldives and now I'm hooked !

The locals are quite shy people and most of the staff at the resorts are from India but every time I have been I have ended up on first name terms with the staff.

In my opinion it knocks spots of the Caribbean but it depends what you want. It is a chill out holiday, not much to do apart from watersports or reading a good book.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
11th Aug 2003, 00:01
IMHO you can't beat Prague or Budapest for great watersports.

Johnman
12th Aug 2003, 10:07
Silkman
thank you very much for the information , it seems a really nice place, looking at the weather these days it seems that it is affected by the mansoon season. Any comments on the resturants and food?

newswatcher
12th Aug 2003, 17:46
There was talk of upgrading Gan (Addu) so that it could take 767 aircraft. This was to be associated with the development of Villingili, one of the adjacent islands, as a holiday resort.

Not sure what effect this will have on the existing resort on Gan (Equator Village/Ocean Reef) but with ancilliary work to improve the infrastructure, it doesn't look good for the "remains" of the ex-RAF base there.