PDA

View Full Version : EVA Air Interview

CDeahr
3rd Aug 2003, 08:38
I am going to Taipei for an interview on August 12, and was wondering if anyone has some information about EVA.

I've searched their website for the basics but am still wondering about domiciles, pay, upgrades, growth, living in Taiwan, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

C Deahr

extreme P
3rd Aug 2003, 09:34
From the archives...

A very good briefing is given to start. Usually the oldest applicant will go first in the box.
The sim was a 767-300 in Taipei. Depart with a normal takeoff and hand fly the SID to 5000' and 250 knots. Steep turns and a stall recovery with 20 degrees flap and a 25 degree bank. Visual approach with a 15 knot crosswind where you will join the downwind at 5000'. Reposition for an RTO. Reposition again for a V1 cut followed by a hand flown ILS to minimums with the FD.
Taipei is the base. Expect two four year contracts as f/o followed by another four year contract as crusie commander. Possibly then you will get the left seat.
First year wage is $53 000 CDN. A $60 000USD bond must be signed for a four year term with the full amount repayable prior to leaving before two years service.

ae-jacko
3rd Aug 2003, 10:21
CDeahr
I get a lot of EVA guys flying stand by on my airline. These guys all start and finish there trips in LAX. So far they all have been South American, and Mexican pilots. The pay doesn't sound very good, I think Captains are making around USD 80,000 a year.(not sure though) I ask how they like there jobs, and they all seem to say "ay it's OK, it's just no fun flying for 14 hours." It sounds like they will be getting a lot of new planes in the next couple of years. I can tell you for sure that they are a part of the ZED program, wich means you and your family can fly stand by on most airlines for a very cheap fair. Hope my very limited and possibly inacurate info helps.
May I ask what your experience is? I was thinking of sending my stuff in, but I'm fairly low time.

bateman
3rd Aug 2003, 22:01
To CDeahr,

Id like to ask your experience level as well. Like most of us who filled in the chronically bad application form, and then failed to receive a reply, Id be interested to know what experience levels they were looking for.

cheers,

CDeahr
4th Aug 2003, 02:01
Thanks all for the replies. I'm slowly putting together a more accurate picture than I had before.

My background is instructing, commuter, major, furlough.

7700 hours total, 767 type rating with 1300 hours in type. 5 years with TWA (great flying), last 2 years with AA (things not so good!).

Anyway, the app was a little long, and they asked for lots of supporting documents that I had to track down. But once I sent it in they called me 8 days later and invited me to Taipei for the interview.

Again thanks for the feedback.

Chris

Snot Box
4th Aug 2003, 04:32
CDeahr,

Good luck on your interview and do keep a good eye out on the medical. It's a very thorough and long medical. Drink lots and lots of water!! The medical is by far one of the more thorough ones besides the Japanese JCAB medical exam.

You will do the medical at Sungshan Airport which is now the domestic airport in Taipei.

Hope you enjoy Taipei while you are there!!

Noctivaga
5th Aug 2003, 02:55
Hi Bateman,
I'm sorry that you didn't show a little more perseverance with the application form. Yes it is long and convoluted. What happens to it after posting to EVA is this: it arrives on a clerks desk, who makes a note of it and files it. Then ABSOLUTELY nothing happens until you show some interest and phone/fax them to get an update. When you do that, it proves that you are indeed interested and the invite for the interview follows. A four day session involving an interview, a sim session, and then a two day medical to see if you are astronaut material. If at any stage you are not considered satisfactory, the secretary gives you a one way ticket later that afternoon. If there are no snags. you go home after the medical and two weeks later they give you a course date. It took me three yeaars from 'cruising' to left seat, today they are looking for 5+ years, and you start as an F/O. National pilots get priority for the left seat/upgraade training, but in general seniority rules apply. We've taken four new aircraft so far this year, 2xB747-400 and 2xA330-200, we'll probably have 6 more next year, and then in 2005 the first of 15 B777 arrive, so lots of 'potential' down the road. If you just keep in mind that the company is somewhat skewed to the national benefit (which I find eminently understandable as it is 'their' airline), the life of an expat is quite reasonable. Excellent aircraft, good routes, and by and large excellent people to work with. I wish the pay were better, who doesn't?, but I manage to make ends meet. And as part of the pay package, you will be housed in Taipei in the expat pilot quarters, a two year old building comprised of one bedroom apartments. Not the Ritz, but you can make it your home away from home and fairly comfortable. You won't spend all that much time in it anyways after you finish your three month training.
Good luck with the interview.

oicur12
25th Aug 2003, 12:43
Cdeahr,

Hey.

What is the industry like in the US rightnow.

Is there work avail in regional turbo prop market or is it dead.

thanks if you can provide an insight.

FatEric
16th Sep 2003, 18:01
hey all,

Is anyone here in prooonland with Eva commuting to the west coast of the US.

I was wondering if this is a viable commute - daily flights/time off etc.

thanks in advance