PDA

View Full Version : Engine Failures

Golf-Kilo Victor
13th Jan 2001, 23:45
Has a commercial Twin Jet ever had a double engine failure, and if so, what are the odds??

Lu Zuckerman
13th Jan 2001, 23:55
To: Golf-Kilo Victor

It has happened on several occasions but it was due to inadequate fuel load. The certification requirements are that it can happen no more frequently than 1 10-9 or one time in a billion hours of fleet operation for that engine type on the aircraft type being certificated.

------------------
The Cat

Hung start
14th Jan 2001, 02:26
And 9 years ago, a MD80 lost both engines due to ice ingestion (well I know, it STARTED with ice), at 2300 feet climbing, in IMC. Landed/crashed in a field NE of ESSA,Stockholm.

dingducky
14th Jan 2001, 07:05
i just watched the movie freefall yesterday.
its about the gimli glider.
the 767 in canada where they used the wrong conversion and only had half the fuel they thought they did!

------------------
Follow your dream! Unless it's the one where you're at work in your underwear during a fire drill!

411A
14th Jan 2001, 07:44
Double engine failure with a DC-9 in the southern US a number of years ago due to ice/very heavy rain ingestion. Also ONA (Overseas National DC-9) had a double engine flameout due to fuel starvation in the Caribbean. CX came VERY close awhile back with an A330 with gearbox bearing failures. Hmm, three is better, 4 better yet!

Roger Turbojet
14th Jan 2001, 12:36
A Tristar back in the eigthies lost all three engines, two were lost, the last (number 2) only made it (to landing, and then failed) because it had been shut down during flight. Cause: During overnight maintinance a mixup had occured and the rubber O-rings on the chip-detectors was missing. During flight the oil leaked from all engines. The number 2 came on first with low oil qty warning, and was shut down. Crew decided to return to Miami, and on return the other two low oil qty came on. Crew belived it was a false indication (what are the ods of all three engines missing oil...???) So shortly after the number 1 and 3 engine failed. Over a period of time the L1011 was a big glider. The crew started the number 2 engine, and flew on that single engine into Miami and made a safe landing. After landing as the aircraft was to leave the rwy, the number 2 engine allso failed.

[This message has been edited by Roger Turbojet (edited 14 January 2001).]

IFR_Twin
14th Jan 2001, 15:28
In '97 the crew a BAe146 jet shut down one engine and later another during an emergency landing.

15min into the flight the crew saw that the oil quantity gauges for No. 2, 3 and 4 engines indicated empty and No.1 gauge indicated less then 1/4 full.

The crew conducted an emergency ILS with the thrust levers set to maximum thrust on No.1 No. 2 set to idle No.3 was shut down No. 4 also set to idle power.

The magnetic chip detectors plugs (MCDP) were removed and found to have no seals.

Lu Zuckerman
14th Jan 2001, 18:26
Regarding the above listed failures I had referenced them in a previous post on ETOPS. Although not specific, I mentioned Ice/Rain ingestion, Fuel Starvation,Volcanic ash clouds and Oil starvation due to not installing the O rings. The O ring incident was a Tri Star. I was not aware of the 146 having the same trouble. It sems that Rolls Royce does not have a lock on a non Murphy Proof design.

------------------
The Cat

Roger Turbojet
14th Jan 2001, 23:37
Lu Zuckerman:

If you are reefering to RR engines on the 146, the manufactor is Lycoming and not RR.

Lu Zuckerman
14th Jan 2001, 23:59
To: Roger Turbojet

"I was not aware of the 146 having the same trouble. It sems that Rolls Royce does not have a lock on a non Murphy Proof design".

I know that the engines were made by Lycoming. That is why I stated the RR does not have a lock on a non Murphey proof design implying that the same problem existed on the 146 engines. Open for the same maintenance error.
------------------

------------------
The Cat

brianmay
15th Jan 2001, 00:53
Those seals certainly are a problem.

No wonder the Canadians club them to death!

You would have thought that the MCDs would rattle a bit without seals wouldn't you. TQF 146 was VERY serious indeed, story at BAe was that it was (or very nearly) down to one engine.