PDA

View Full Version : SCCM Experience

tilly666
2nd Aug 2003, 02:32
I know the CAA regulations state that to be promoted to Senior Cabin Crew (SCCM), i.e take an aircraft out as the In Charge Cabin Crew you need to have atleast 12 months flying experience. What I would like from fellow Cabin Crew is do you think that is enough?

I have flown for three different airlines now on a range of aircraft. My last two airlines I was promoted to Senior, Purser or whatever they are called. Now on airline number 4 and I am astonished at how little experince the Pursers have, operating on an aircraft of 150 seats. Some are as young as 19 and are not too confident.

It doesn't bother me that these people are above me in rank now, but it just concerns me about the lack of flying experience. I think a minimum of 2 years is just right in order to become an In Charge CC?!! :\ :ugh:

gtadxb
2nd Aug 2003, 03:23
Some SCCMs might not have flown for very long and not on many different a/c types but maybe they have some of the qualities required to be a good SCCM ... assertiveness, communication and team cohesion... and if they have been promoted, surely the company believes that they are capable of doing the job or they would not have been promoted ?
Food for thought...

marcos
2nd Aug 2003, 07:29
Well, i have to say that i also been with three co. and looking for the next one.In some of them i have seen the most incompetent people trying to manage a plain with a serious lack of respect for the crew,for the pax. and even worse,education and culture.
We could talk 'bout "friendships" or simply years operating for the same co.which in the end leads us to non-prepared people for the position.
I personally would say that when you find somebody is mature and well prepared to represent a co. is the time of promoting.

sweety
3rd Aug 2003, 02:51
I know where you are coming from, tilly666! ;)

Mashie Niblick
3rd Aug 2003, 09:15
Very much agree,Tilly.
I think a minimum 3 years if you're on s/haul or mix of long and short as with UK Charters.If you are L/haul only,with only 4/5 trips a month or so then I'd go for minimum 6 years.There is no substitute for "experience" regardless of how confident you may be.You need hundreds of flights under your belt to fully understand and be able to deal with the vast array of situations,problems and scenarios that crop up all the time even on the most normal of flights.

I am not a SCCM,but have flown for a couple of airlines over the last 13 years.I need to feel confident in the abilities of my SCCM when on a flight.Their age is of no concern to me,but I their "experience" certainly is.

jettesen
4th Aug 2003, 02:09
In response to your replies, i would like to add that maybe you have worked for many airlines before, or what ever, but it is all down to experience. For example those crew in the low cost sector probably fly up to three times more than those in the charter sector. I work for a low cost airline, and I work 6 days a week, with 4 sector days ( in the summer months can be up to 6 sectors a day). Very rarely are you not called on a standby. This is where the experience factor may come into the argument. I feel that age is not a concern neither the quick promotion, but they do have without a doubt the flying experience which is the most important. Also with the low costs, you work with minimum crew (3) so you really have to learn quickly on how to handle a situation on your own cause you have to deal with it. you can't pass it on to anyone else.

Please don't think you charter crew don't work hard, but in retrospect to the low cost crews, they work damn hard! Just a thought

TightSlot
4th Aug 2003, 17:04
jettesen - I'm anxious NOT to get into a war about work rates, but would point out that on the charter side, the volume of work in the cabin once airborne is possibly higher than on many of the loco's. It is because of the in-flight workload that charter operators tend not to roster many multi-sector days - even the beancounters can see that the costs of death by roster exceed the costs of recruiting replacements!

I agree with Tilly that 2 years experience is appropriate, but in the end the CAA and the airlines live in each others pockets, so I wouldn't expect too much change too soon - unless of course an accident/incident occurs where the experience level becomes a factor, in which case it will of course be somebody else's fault (probably mine, since Mrs TS usually says it is)

jettesen
5th Aug 2003, 17:01
Without a soubt the charter crew work unbelievably hard in flight compared to the locos, but at the end of the day you have more crew per flight. You try doing a 6 sector AMS with 149 pax on a 35 min flt, and serve them all with drinks and clear in with only 3 crew! Thats hard work! This month I have 106 sectors! Surely from this amount of sectors, i have the experience behind me for quick promotion. after all we do have more responsibility? There is no need to wait 2 years for promotion to senior. I hate to say this, but it is most definately true, don't you think that the locos crew have to put up with the most Sh*t and abuse from the scummy pax? Not a day goes by that someone isn't spitting in my face with rage. Being able to deal with that is enough experience for me!

TightSlot
5th Aug 2003, 19:10
Ok, fair point, well made.

:D

STARBUX
6th Aug 2003, 01:31
Hi Guys,

I personally dont think that 2 years is enough when you are dealing with Scheduled pax, especially the full fare paying variety! These people can be extremely expectant ( in some cases, rightly so), often they are in their more , how shall we say it...."advanced years" . They can be company directors, Doctors, Lawyers etc etc, and dont really appreciate dealing with some 22yr old air head dolley, some of whom are under the impression that they are God just cos they are in-charge of an aircraft cabin.

These types of pax , when they have a problem , want to deal with someone they feel might have at least a SLIGHT understanding of what said problem is........in my opinion they want someone of a certain age and NOT a cabin crew member who would share the back seat of their Mercedes with their OWN son or daughter after the lights go out at their local village hall school disco!!!!! I feel that alot of the kids around these days in charge wouldnt have the slightest idea wot to do when confronted with a REAL pax problem.........after all ,most anyone could do our job UNTIL the crap hits the fan....its only then that the wheat is sorted from the chaff so to speak!!! Life Experience counts for a lot!