PDA

View Full Version : New Host Needed !

EGCC Rwy 24
2nd Aug 2003, 01:58
My Site (http://nicklocke.co.uk/points) is currently hosted with Easyspace. I chose them because they were able to offer a Unix version of ASP (iASP) and a database (mySQL) for a reasonable price.

Of late, there has seemed to be a problem with the link between the ASP and the database, resulting in "JServ Error 500 Internal Server Error" intermittently when serving pages (as some of you may have seen on the site).

I am bemused by Easyspace's responses:

Hello,

The error message would suggest that the ASP application has crashed when trying to serve the page.

The iASP application is an approximation to the ASP software on windows servers and is not as stable as ASP on windows servers.

We run a checking script that checks the application every ten minutes and if it is not working then it is reset. We also do a hard reset on the application every morning.

I am afriad that there is little else we can do with this issue.

I would suggest that you try php instead as this is very stable on our servers.

and

Hello,

I ma afriad that we cannot do much else with the iASP applciation. I would either suggest moving to a windows server provider with asp support or rewrite the files for the website in php.

Sorry I cannot help any further than this.

A fairly unbelievable response for a paid for service! I think everyone will understand my desire to move elsewhere!

My initial thoughts tend towards Eclipse (http://eclipse.net.uk) who offer a Windows ASP arrangement with an Access database. They also already provide my Broadband access.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Nick

amanoffewwords
2nd Aug 2003, 02:30
At least they're being honest - I use Easyspace too - so far only ventured as far as mysql/php - found their support to be ok - bit rough on the edges sometimes as you experienced but efficient in terms of speed of response etc.

I like your site by the way....except that I too got the Jserv error -eventually.

I had a similar problem when I first set up my site 'cause Macromedia Dreamweaver MX wizards are set to open persistent connections to MySql - hence I quickly exceeded the max number of connections and an error code would be generated (can't remember which one). After a while the connections would time-out and it would work again, thus confounding the issue.

Changed a parm to make once-only connections and never saw the problem again. Is it possible that you are having a similar problem (*just guessing as I know zero about JServ/ASP*)?

amofw

EGCC Rwy 24
3rd Aug 2003, 16:38
Thanks - I'll check that out.......

Rugz
4th Aug 2003, 16:21
I use www.oneandone.co.uk to host my sites which are all ASP running on Access / mySQL.

Not had many issues with them, fairly professional all round.