PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight - pre-laser prescription

eject
1st Aug 2003, 09:09
SORRY FOLKS - EYES AGAIN, BUT MAYBE A DIFFERENT SLANT

I met the pre-op requirements for Class 2 but not Class 1. Despite the fact that I now satisfy Class 1 eyesight standards, I can't get the certificate. Is anyone aware of any way around this? What if I go to the US? Any chance of changes to the regs in the foreseeable future?

ae-jacko
1st Aug 2003, 10:01
I believe you are referring to Laser eye surgery. In the U.S. you can receive a 1st class medical after the surgery, as long as your eye sight meets the requirements. Is this what you are asking? Your question is kind of unclear to me.

baldwim
1st Aug 2003, 22:12
I dont think there is an obvious way around this. I have never been able to get a class 1. I have considered laser surgery but know that it's the pre-op prescrition that the caa are really intersted in.

There is another thread on here that addresses a possible faa route. It seems it may be possible to get an FAA CPL/IR with FAA class 1 (no prescrition requirements) and then transfer to the JAR CPL (with all the test and grounschool). You need to get the JAA class 1 of course, but this way it is a renewal and not an initial which has less stringent requirements (-8).

mackey
2nd Aug 2003, 01:34
Had lasik laser surgery back in Dec 2001,then I had class 1 med in April 2002,passed everything but had to wait until Dec 2002 to receive my certificate.

I have since had the medical renewed in April 2003 with no problem, the M.D said if I had not told him I had had laser surgery , he would not have known!!

My pre op prescription was about -5 in both eyes, they also corrected my astigmatism.

If you do decide to go ahead with the laser surgery,make sure you do lots of research of the places you contact.(I had mine done at Ultralase)

It can be done, and the medical can be passed :ok:

M.

radar707
2nd Aug 2003, 02:49
Slightly different perspective from an ATC point of view, I had the PRK (not sure if it's the same as Lasik) done at the Corneal Laser Centre in Leeds back in 1995, they corrected my astigmatism and I had no problems getting a class 1 medical certificate.
Just had to be monitored every 12 mnonths by the CAA at Gatwick for 3 years then got signed off.

If I was a pilot they said I would be grounded for 6 months after the surgery and then subject to review by the CAA ophthalmologist to get signed off for flight duties.

eject
2nd Aug 2003, 08:53
Mine's a slightly unusual situation. A couple of years ago, in response to what was quite a confusing picture at PPRUNE and elsewhere, I decided to go for Class 1 and see how it would go. The Mater Clinic in Dublin had started carrying out JAA Class 1 examinations so in Jan '01, I went to Dublin (easier to get to than Gatwick). I neither knew what my pre-operative prescription had been, nor did I appreciate its significance, though the Opthalmic Surgeon who tested my eyesight noted that I had been "highly myopic" (short sighted), prior to Lasik.

I was however pleasantly surprised, firstly that I met the Class 1 stds, and secondly, to receive the appropriate certificate a few weeks later. I then went off on my merry way to learn to fly!

I later realised I needed a medical cert from the CAA since I was training in N Ireland. In response to my attempt to obtain the CAA Class 1, through the IAA, I was asked to provide details of my pre-operative eyesight. After this was submitted, confirming that I had been at -8 diopters, I received a letter from the IAA which effectively seemed to imply that I had concealed the facts concerning my eyesight when I attended the initial Class 1. The letter went on to inform me that I hadn't met the relevant standards for Class 1 initial (though I did for renewal). Two Class 2 certs were enclosed, one from the CAA, the other from IAA.

I have at no time been anything other than honest regarding the laser treatment I received. The eye examiner who saw me at the Class 1 was herself a Lasik practitioner and was in no doubt as to the extent of the correction Lasik had afforded me. I have made several postings in PPRUNE on this subject and have throughout advocated the importance of being open and honest on this issue. For people unfortunate enough to have poor eyesight, Laser treatment, though not without some risk, provides a wonderful opportunity. The current policy whereby a history of poor vision takes precedence over the actual quality of a person's corrected eyesight, seems largely unfounded. I remember knocking my glasses off during an early flying lesson - believe me, at -5 or -8, you're as good as blind when that happens or when you get grit in your contact lens.

I've rambled on a bit and apologise for that. However, I think this matter will run on and on and I know there are a few issues here that haven't yet been raised or fully discussed. I haven't given up on the Class 1 yet and I'll be interested to hear any further comments.