PDA

View Full Version : AN vs QF 737-300/400 ?

Relaxed Redback
1st Aug 2003, 06:27
Would anyone here be able to enlighten me .
I was told there was a difference between same types of 737-300 / 400
What specifically, were the differences between the ANSETT and QANTAS 737 fleets ?
Thank you in advance. :ok:

VTM
1st Aug 2003, 07:49
AN only operated 737-300s.

Kaptin M
1st Aug 2003, 08:11
The paint jobs??!! :sad:

Kanga767
1st Aug 2003, 10:27
One difference that comes to mind was that for a time the QF -400s had aux fuel tanks in the rear cargo locker with associated complicated operation in the cockpit, sorry, flightdeck.

chockchucker
1st Aug 2003, 11:01
I believe that engines on the qf aircraft had an extra 2000 lbs of puff. (22,000 lb for Qf vs 20,000lbs for An)

As previously stated, the -400's had aux fuel tanks (all recently removed due to -800's taking over some of the -400 routes perhaps)

Some of the QF -400's have dual FMC's (Ansett A/C only have one)

The -400 also has a different aircon system, zone temp control not unlike the 767

Also, they use a systron-donner OVHT/Fire detection system for the engines as opposed to the walter kidde system on the Ansett aircraft. Add to that a some have a more updated engine accessory unit (16 parameters instead of 8)

There are a host of other minor differences too (not withstanding things like a different paint scheme) that I cannot imediately recall.

Much like Ansett though, the Qf 737 fleet of today is a bit of a Heinze variety with leased A/C and what not. Even the new-gens won't be (aren't) all the same (initial 15 were meant for American airlines whereas the latest are a QF spec). Gone are the simple days of ordering a entire fleet all the same spec off the production line.

Keeps us engineers on our toes though.

Hope this was some help.

Cheers.

P.S. The QF aircraft also have moving cargo loading carpets in the holds. A nightmare for engineers but probably save a bit in compo claims from bag snatchers with bad backs!:ok:

I believe that engines on the qf aircraft had an extra 2000 lbs of puff. (22,000 lb for Qf vs 20,000lbs for An)

As previously stated, the -400's had aux fuel tanks (all recently removed due to -800's taking over some of the -400 routes perhaps)

Some of the QF -400's have dual FMC's (Ansett A/C only have one)

The -400 also has a different aircon system, zone temp control not unlike the 767

Also, they use a systron-donner OVHT/Fire detection system for the engines as opposed to the walter kidde system on the Ansett aircraft. Add to that a some have a more updated engine accessory unit (16 parameters instead of 8)

There are a host of other minor differences too (not withstanding things like a different paint scheme) that I cannot imediately recall.

Much like Ansett though, the Qf 737 fleet of today is a bit of a Heinze variety with leased A/C and what not. Even the new-gens won't be (aren't) all the same (initial 15 were meant for American airlines whereas the latest are a QF spec). Gone are the simple days of ordering a entire fleet all the same spec off the production line.

Keeps us engineers on our toes though.

Hope this was some help.

Cheers.

Torres
1st Aug 2003, 11:29
I'm surprised the AN 733's didn't also have an FE position on the Flightdeck! :}

Going Boeing
1st Aug 2003, 13:27
The AN aircraft had Logo lights whereas the ex TN aircraft did not - QF management couldn't understand why you wouldn't order the aircraft with then - the advertising value certainly made it worthwhile.

Bankstown
1st Aug 2003, 15:03
I know that Boeing 737-376 VH-TAF was the first 737 fitted with EFIS and was the test bus for certification, therefore VH-TAG was the first to arrive for Australian. Does that mean that Boeing 737-377 VH-CZA was delivered without EFIS (standard with Ansett's B737-277s)?

Three Wire
1st Aug 2003, 15:35
The AN 737-300 s (the first 12 anyway) had round dial engine instruments. The TN 737-300s had the LCD engine intstruments, and TAF was the test aircraft for it.
All the 737-300s in Oz has only one FMC with a supplementary ANCDU if the FMC went belly up. :cool:

pizza
2nd Aug 2003, 09:45
The An 73's had a distinct Quality that the Qf one's don't. Mainly cabin condition, the Qf one's are pieces of S**T!

3rd Aug 2003, 00:35
Three Wire, I think you'll find that those first 12 AN 73's with the analogue flight instruments were Advanced 200's. All the -300's had the standard Boeing CRT display.

The only airline I know of that flew a 737-300 with analog instruments was SouthWest in Texas. They needed an enormous annunciator that took up nearly half the main instrument panel to do the job of the FMA on the CRT PFD.

(How's that for a sentence full of avaition TLAs (three letter acronyms)?)

Capn Laptop
3rd Aug 2003, 05:28
There are plenty of "hard ball" 300's

NJS had one for a while.

The QF and AN 300's (and mostof the QF 400's) had the same flight and engine instruments

puff
3rd Aug 2003, 13:20
All of the Ansett configured(77s)300s and Australian(76) 300s and 400s had round dial engine instruments, however a few of the AWAS machines(3As) CZS/T/U had EIS engine instruments. These were the dials that were fitted the the British Midland 400 that crashed due to the crew misreading the info because of there difference to the round dials that they were used to on the other aircraft in their fleet.

Some of the other AN 300s also had a radar monitor between the CDUs, others only had the controls for it which were then overlayed onto the EHSI. CZT which was the newest in the fleet also had a digital Cabin Pressurisation Panel. Other slight differences were the AN 300s were not fitted with foward airstairs, however the AWAS models were, if you look at CZQ at Virgin you will notice the door for it under the cabin door, the air stairs were never used when AN had them because there were no spares for them.

As a matter of interest the classic 737s could be fitted as a company requirement to NOT be fitted with EFIS screens, Southwest was an airline that did opt for this, Southwest classics are also only fitted with a single CDU. They did that at the time to keep the difference between the 300 and the 200 to a minimum.

fruitloop
3rd Aug 2003, 13:44
Quote "if you look at CZQ at Virgin you will notice the door for it under the cabin door, the air stairs were never used when AN had them because there were no spares for them."
Sorry Puff,not entirly correct.There were stair spares available but when the cabin was "re-arranged"the weight had to be accounted for and so out they came ! From memory also S,T,U and W had the hole plugged up,W had an extra toilet tank at the back (overflow from the rear)and it was fittted with about a dozen vortex generators around the APU acess panel to make it fly straight.Some of the AN or should I say AWAS also had High pressure tyres so wern't allowed to go to some airports (Hamilton Island)

puff
3rd Aug 2003, 16:18
I stand corrected fruit :) Apparently the 200s had them and were used quite regularly. I forgot about the HP tyres, those machines also couldn't go to Norfolk Island either.

lost soul
6th Aug 2003, 01:24
A large proportion of the old AN 733's are now busy in the UK with Channel Express and Jet2 (their own low cost operator) I've been flying them myself-- they may be old but are in immaculate condition!. In their new role they have been reconfigured to 148 all-economy seats and the IFE has been removed to save weight. Best of all the engines have been upgraded to 22k. Have a look at www.channel-express.co.uk and www.jet2.com
Some of these aircraft are also being converted to freighters and QC configuration in Israel. (also for Channel Express)