View Full Version : New Airline Based In Sharjah

jaguar340
1st Aug 2003, 01:44
Someone told me that Sharjah (UAE) will announce a new airline which will be based in Sharjah , operated with Airbus A320.

Does anyone have any information about this??

:confused:

typhoonpilot
1st Aug 2003, 14:49
Try:

www.airarabia.com

Typhoonpilot

jaguar340
2nd Aug 2003, 03:59
typhoonpilot,

Thanks mate!!

4HolerPoler
2nd Aug 2003, 06:18
Couple of interesting quotes from the site:

Sharjah - "the city of culture" Stretching across 2590 square km. Now that is one mother of a city!!!!!!!!!

The Board of Directors of Air Arabia consist of seven members all with extensive experience in Aviation, Business, Banking and Finance:

Shaikh Abdulla Bin Mohammed Al-Thani, Chairman.
Chairman of Sharjah Civil Aviation Department.

Dr. Ghanem Al-Hajri, Member.
Director General of Sharjah Airport Authority.

Mr.-------To be named soon------, Member.

Shaikh Al-Thani - wouldn't be the same Al-Thani that has all those rust-bucket 707's & 747's would it? He who gaveth his 747SP to Saddam?

Those last five members of the board certainly give the whole concept an air of credibility................not.

Approach with a certain level of caution methinks. But then, a job is better than none.

My tuppence worth.

4HP

lr25ec
3rd Aug 2003, 18:21
4HP, it seems like you have the guys mixed up... The Sh. Thani that is involved with Air Arabia is not the same one you are thinking of with the 707's and the 747 gift to SH. That would actually be Sh Hamad Al Thani.

Sh. Abdulla Al Thani, of Air Arabia is a well respected member of the royal family, (married to the daughter of HH Sh. Sultan of Sharjah). He is an aviation professional and chairman of the airport authority or the civil aviation dept. of Sharjah.

Note that this airline is also headed by Mr. Ghanem Al Hajri who has been the international chairman of ICAO for many years.

Also the airline is backed by the Sharjah govt. and they won't let the project fail just because of their reputation being at stake. At least they are honest about what stage they are in the process of starting the airline. They have advertised and are interviewing candidates for all those positions.

Cheers!

4HolerPoler
3rd Aug 2003, 20:45
Thanks for the explanation and I retract any implication that Shaikh Al Thani is in any way, other than by family name, related to Shaikh Hamad.

Still a bit puzzled as to the Board Members but I'm sure they'll soon round up a number of folk who can show extensive experience in Aviation, Business, Banking and Finance.

I wish them the best of luck; it's a crowded environment that will need every bit of support and encouragement to be successful; the fact that they have government backing will be a huge help.

I'll watch this one with interest.

4HP

homesick rae
3rd Aug 2003, 21:04
They do seem to be on the right track, though at the moment I cannot forsee an October start. No word on the Cabin Crew recruitment and they still have the board to sort out as 4HP pointed out.

Will be interesting though!

jaguar340
16th Aug 2003, 20:51
There Will to be 4 new airlines in Sharjah beside Air Arabia, Which made me think!! Which one is best to join??? What are the possibilities that those airlines to grow bigger or even survive??

Icarus
18th Aug 2003, 10:49
The CEO is an ex-GF VP who basicaly 'failed' (miserably) to run the Commercial Division a couple of years ago and was 'let-go' very quickly by the boys from Down-Under.

Joe Monsoon
21st Aug 2003, 00:30
Icarus and 4Holerpoler your friend navid is head of crewing :O SO BOTH of you are OK i guesssssssssssss:E