PDA

View Full Version : Airport's Jeremy Spake to start airline!

Uncle Monty
30th Jul 2003, 21:44
Belfast could be base for TV star's new airline

Jeremy Spake, star of TV programmes including Airport and Child-ren's Hospital, is starting up his own airline and could be flying from Belfast this time next year.

Mr Spake was in Belfast yesterday having talks with management at Belfast International Airport. He said Belfast is one of four bases in the UK and Europe where he is considering flying from.

If Belfast is chosen, Mr Spake revealed that his airline could restart services between Alder-grove and Heathrow and possibly fly to a number of new European destinations.

The name of the new airline is not being revealed yet but he says the project is well advanced.

Mr Spake, who is the managing director of the company, said he hopes to be in a position to launch before the end of the year and start flying by the end of March 2004.

Speaking to the Irish News he said: "Belfast clearly has a need for more services. We are examining whether Belfast as a base is a viable option.

"And if it is a viable option we will select the routes to which we would want to fly to from here.

"Heathrow is clearly one of the options that we have open to us as is Paris, Amsterdam, Bar-celona, Malaga and others."

Mr Spake said he wasn't revealing too much at this stage because he wanted to keep the competition guessing.

He said: "Our product will be different. I am not prepared to tell you how but it will be different."

However, he did say that he was not creating another low cost airline like easyJet or Ryanair.

He said the airline would stick to main airports and that operations could include inter-lining agreements with other carriers with worldwide connections.

Mr Spake said that using smaller airports, often with poor bus and rail connections, was "a bit of a nonsense".

"Mr O'Leary, God love him, makes no bones about what he's doing and that's fine. It's not for us. I just think that if you are flying someone to Stockholm you take them to Arlanda, which at least gives them a fighting chance of getting into the centre without a 15-day camel trek."

Mr Spake conceded that the airline industry was going through a difficult period. However, he said the tide was turning and the time was ripe to start a new airline.

"The airline industry is on the turn. Unless something severe happens in the next eight to nine months, the industry is in recovery. That's evident by the lease rates on aircraft. The industry is ready for change.

"'We are seeing the opportunity to start an airline from a very low cost base but not necessarily a low cost service and do it very well."

He indicated there was some significant investors already behind the project but that more were being sought.

Joe Curry
31st Jul 2003, 01:17
A very interesting contribution.. It's hard to imagine Spake away
from Aeroflot...

Perhaps Jeremy's new venture might benefit from his Russian
connections...?

BTW..what was the source of the original story? I have searched
high and low to no avail...

BAe 146-100
31st Jul 2003, 01:24
Hi,

What aircraft do you think the airline will operate. I heard about this in last month's Airliner World.

BAe 146-100

BAe 146-100
31st Jul 2003, 01:36
Hi,

It must be another Jeremy Spake :p.

BAe 146-100

limpbiscuits
1st Aug 2003, 01:07
I Thought Jeremy Spank was sumting to do with European Airlines / EAL / EAC / EEEK! at MAN? maybe i was dreaming...

He's actually quite a card.... anyone read his book? its deffo worth a flick.....

Stand 22
1st Aug 2003, 01:56
He is/was something to do with European at MAN. Seen him around a couple of times. From what I here from some Servisair people, he was a right pain in the a*se.

Regards

Frankfurt_Cowboy
1st Aug 2003, 01:58
I'd imagine he quite likes being flicked through...........

Crewing Gimp
1st Aug 2003, 06:36
Can confirm he was "Traffic Manager" at European for about 3 months.

But he left in a puff of smoke, I think he was planning to start his own airline then.

It all seems a bit dramatic to me...
:O

rupetime
1st Aug 2003, 15:11
Depth out of springs to mind.

harryf
2nd Aug 2003, 02:39
Jeremy was with European as Traffic Manager for six months, got fed up with the chutney going on there and then went off to start his own thing! Just lately he was spotted at Eastern Airways helping restructure the company before it expands again with new routes and I here jets!

topcat450
2nd Aug 2003, 05:26
He was also spotted on his mobile at the Paris airshow in June...I didn't stop to talk to him though & ask him about his own airline...am fancying a job change though so perhaps I should have! Doh!

Buster the Bear
2nd Aug 2003, 06:53
What was the name of the 'Gay' airline set to start from Luton a while back?

Buster the Bear
3rd Aug 2003, 04:05
Actually, I know a Horse that would love to help out Mr Spake, looks luvly in a little dress!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankfurt_Cowboy
3rd Aug 2003, 04:30
I think you must something that the rest of us don't, Buster. Gay? Dress? Jeremy Spake? He was on the telly flogging washing machines and other electrical goods this afternoon.

harryf
3rd Aug 2003, 19:26
News from Russia this morning, would suggest that Spake is set to launch services from Far Eastern Siberia in March 2004. Flights will operate to 20 destinations on launch, with a further 20 planned before 2005. Serious money behind the idea, and the UK thing is purely a smoke screen to put people of the scent.

Guy in Siberia said that the company had already recruited a large number of staff, and would be offering something really unique.

By the way, I worked for 8 years with Spake's wife, so the you're all wrong about the Gay thing, his kids are great friends of mine!

:8 :E

Frankfurt_Cowboy
3rd Aug 2003, 22:14
It's the way you tell 'em!!

Madtoonfan
3rd Aug 2003, 23:57
Hmmmm i dont think that Jeremy will use a/c used in everyday life!!! I think that with his Russian routes he will adopt all-russian a/c. Plus you can go to russia and pick up the "OLD SMOKERS" for very low prices as most of them are in storage!!!!! Id like to see more Tupolev TU-154`S around, lovely a/c.

Voldermort
4th Aug 2003, 02:50
What was he using to flog the washing machine ?!!!!!:p

Frankfurt_Cowboy
4th Aug 2003, 06:14
It looked like a Flyjet in flight magazine.

Maxflyer
6th Aug 2003, 18:30
I see the Homophobes have someone to snipe at. Isn't this the 21st Century?

Come on! Can't we discuss anything on PPRuNe without people needing to bring the debate down to the gutter.

Whether Mr Spake does or doesn't succeed with his venture shouldn't be based on his or anyone else's sexuality. I am led to believe that he is strictly hetro' anyway.

MF