PDA

View Full Version : Australian Airlines Cabin Crew Uniform

AOskippy
30th Jul 2003, 08:52
Hi all,

Has anyone seen the AO cabin crew's uniform? What do you think? Personally, I think they look too casual, not professional at all. However, our management were proud of it!? For Asian cultures, the sandy colour resembles factory workers, which AO crew happen to wear.

Peter Weiss did a terrible job, but we heard that AO got it cheap or maybe free, as long as we keep giving away his store discount card on board.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion, thanks.

:yuk:

flitegirl
30th Jul 2003, 11:21
Hello AO skippy,

well I don't know who you are, but you've just regurgitated everything we've all known and have been talking about since last September when we were all fitted for uniforms. I think we're all getting a bit tired of this topic don't you? Everyone involved has realised that our uniforms have been less than successful, although the concept was suitable for our style.

I'm not sure why you've felt the need to blab what we already know across this forum... we are all already feeling a little self concious about our poor quality attire. Are you trying to embarrass us more by broadcasting it across the internet for all to read?:uhoh:

cabin secure
30th Jul 2003, 12:49
Couldn't agree more flitegirl!

The less said the better.:ok:

qfmike737
30th Jul 2003, 13:22
In the flesh the uniform looks alot better and I think it looks quite smart. The little kangaroo looks soooo cool!

ditzyboy
30th Jul 2003, 14:15
flitegirl -
Please respect others' right to voice opinions. It may be easy for me to say coz I don't wear the wretched thing but please remember your manners. I accept your frustration but you could have said that alot more diplomatically, Dear. You AO chicks don't beat around the bush do you...

I wore BOTH hideous Impulse uniforms, including the purple galley apron(!), so I do know where you AO people are coming from!

Also it was this person's first post here. Where's that warm welcome your airline portrays in its ads?

Do you think a change of garb is on the cards?

Hello and welcome to Pprune, AOskippy!

AIRWAY
30th Jul 2003, 15:39
The uniforms are ok, also like "The little kangaroo" on it... I have seen worse uniforms... Anyway, everyone as a right for an opinion, and thats what it is "Only" an opinion...

g'day

missleadfoot
30th Jul 2003, 18:54
Welcome AO Skippy,

I think what Flightgirl is trying to say is this topic has been tossed around so much here on this forum, enough about our uniform has already been said.

Skippy if this is your first time here you might be interested in reading some past topics about Australian Airlines. I think you can do a search.

Anyway, who cares about the uniform, you are flying so thats the main thing. Enjoy the job and have fun, thats what it's all about!!

SinSling
3rd Aug 2003, 21:22
Ahhhhh the ongoing saga of our uniform.

The colours are fabulously Australian, there is no denying our heritage so guys, lets work with it! Do we not stand out in a Terminal? Sure we do and we should be proud of that fact!

The design, well, it is practical and casual but lets face it guys, we don't have business class and we are not targeting that market... we are a leisure airline, servicing holiday destinations.

Sure some consideration needs to be placed on wearability of some of the pieces within the wardrobe, but overall, you have to admit, it is practical and we all know they are working on the bugs that have come to surface with it.

I am so proud to wear the uniform. We are the public face of a great new Airline with so much promise. Did u wear a Compass uniform???? If so, did you get the opportunity to get used to it? No, it wasn't around long enough.

We fly, we have great jobs and fantastic destinations. Lets be proud of ourselves, we all know we have our knockers out there, so we have to stand together as one in the public. Doesn't mean we have to love everything going on around us, but please let us not be our own worst knocker.

Thanks Airway and qfmike737 for your positive responses.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate everyones views and the fact we all have a right to air them, these are just my thoughts.

;)

mid assist
4th Aug 2003, 09:15
Sinsling

Couldn't have put it better myself. I get a buzz each day i put my uniform on for work, a real sence of pride. Ao skippy, i have a question for you.... How many passengers have told you they love the uniform and its casual/approachable look?
I agree with the other posts Ao skippy, you're free to express your views. What would really upset me is, if you are going for cabin manager. That wouldn't be a good attitude to have. Our management from day one have encouraged us to come and have a chat with them if we had a problem or a view to share.
If you have read past threads, we arn't a well liked airline in the australian cabin crew ranks. AO Skippy we have something really good up here in Cairns, lets stay positive eh!

:hmm:

AOskippy
7th Aug 2003, 10:38
Hey there,

Thanks for those who supported my freedom of speech. And YES, I am very proud of being one of AO, that's why I would love it to be much better, trust me, I am the one that always try to press on my jecket, shirt and pants.

And no, I haven't got much positive response at all, for Asian pax, particularly Japanese, presentation is everything. Some crew need more education on cultural awareness.

Think about it, which airline is not an leisure airline? Have you ever heard of any airlines maketed themselves as 'Business' airlines? Count how many first/business seats there are on QF or other airlines, it's not hard to see my point. Being an leisure airlines shouldn't equal daggy uniform.

For those who thought I don't appreciate the job, it took me nearly 10 years to become a long haul flight attendant, you have no idea how much I cherish and love this job more than anyone else in this company.

AIRWAY
8th Aug 2003, 01:55
AOskippy, good things come to does who wait! :ok: Enjoy it

Cliff
8th Aug 2003, 03:48
You are so right, AOskippy!

saloon
8th Aug 2003, 11:36
I can see how the uniform could be perceived as culturally inappropriate from an Asian pax's view, however inbound, Asian tourism is not the only source of AO's business.

AO also chase the outbound tourist dollar. Perhaps someone dressed to the nines on the typical DPS could also be viewed as inappropriate?

Just a thought.