PDA

View Full Version : Operating balloons under UK AOC?? in RSA

garymortimer
30th Jul 2003, 07:14
Humm this might bring down howls of derision but anyhow here we go....

My wife being from RSA has been bending my ear to set up shop down there for ages (oh all right I've really had enough of the rain in UK as well) Anyhow I have been looking into setting up an AOC in South Africa, I should add at this time that its for hot air balloons, very dull I know.

Anyhow a friend of mine said why bother, just go down and use a UK AOC, registered balloons licences and all that jazz.

Great thinks I but somehow I think not legal. He thinks otherwise.

Anyone know the truth of the matter???

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Gary

Balloothebear
30th Jul 2003, 15:32
There are a few local lads who operate Hot Air Baloons in and around the borders of RSA.Please check the local CAA website www.caa.co.za and go to SA-CATS-OPS Part 102 and Part 149.
The Aero club of SA contact number + 27 11 805 2765 will probably be your best starting point with regards to getting your "bag filled"
Enjoy...............................the bear nessesities:=

garymortimer
30th Jul 2003, 17:35
Just in case anyone else was thinking about doing similar here is the reponse I have had from the CAA in South Africa to the same question.

Dear Mr Mortimer

The information you received was indeed incorrect.

You would have to follow the route of applying to the Air Licensing Council of South Africa for a Foreign Operators Licence. Once this is granted you will have to follow the route of having an Operators Manual approved by the SA CAA and apply for the issuing of an AOC. The UK pilots will also have to validate their CPL's for South Africa

Now another question.....

Anyone had experience of applying for a foreign operators licence???

BAKELA
30th Jul 2003, 17:53
GM,

Plenty experience. PM or mail me if you want more info. :ok: