PDA

View Full Version : Thursday across the channel - IFO

PAXboy
30th Jul 2003, 05:51
Here is a story about an Identified Flying Object, set for an early morning traverse of the channel ...
Skydiver plans Channel flight (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3106147.stm)

Dude~
1st Aug 2003, 21:02
Interesting flight!

BBC news report is a bit iffy though.

"Clearly he had to judge just the right minute to jump out of the plane so he could ensure the right currents.

Whatever. Presumably 'currents' are not dried fruits in this case, but winds aloft..

As for exorting his previous daredevil stunts, the beeb notes how he is the record holder for the highest base jump. Funny that, I though the shorter the base jump the more dangerous it would be...:D

Agaricus bisporus
2nd Aug 2003, 03:45
Dude, may I ex(h)ort you to recognise the importance of both spelling and the use of the correct word, exhort means to encourage, advocate etc and the currents found in cakes are spelt with an A.

Sorry! Couldn't resist that! ;)

5milesbaby
2nd Aug 2003, 05:44
Check out ATC Issues for more on this.

PAXboy
2nd Aug 2003, 06:09
The question I want answered is:

Any guess of the buffeting he must have encountered as he left the a/c? The reports mention him reaching really tremendous speeds and the acceleration would have been enormous.

russelldav
4th Aug 2003, 06:08
Pax Boy,

with regard to the forces of acceleration that the skydiver will be subject to when jumping from the plane...

they're the same ones you've experienced yourself whenever you've jumped in the air or off a high object, he'll accelerate under the affect of gravity at about 9.81ms^-2 (give or take abit for air resistance)

still must be a pretty sensational feeling though, especially from FL300

tvrfreak
4th Aug 2003, 14:56
Anyone jumping out of an airplane with a "wing" will experience the vertical resultant force of
1. Gravitational acceleration downwards, AND
2. The wing's lift, an upwards acceleration.

The net force he "feels" will be far less than the 9.81 m/s^2 force of gravitational acceleration that anyone would feel if they jumped off an object without a wing, while on or near the earth.

Can't believe that someone in an aviation forum got it wrong...