PDA

View Full Version : Autoplay problem.

BRL
30th Jul 2003, 01:27
Hi all. Recently, my autoplay doesn't work whenever I put a cd in. I have all the options that I can find manually, even looking in tweak UI and they are all ticked but still no autoplay :confused:
This applies to both music and cd-roms..........
Any clues what to do???????

(WinXP)

gas path
30th Jul 2003, 03:20
Dunno if this is what you need but after a trawl found it on bootdisk.com
My Computer, right click the drive, Properties, Autoplay page. Select the type of disk (eg Music CD,Blank CD, mixed content, etc) and set what you want to do. For 'Mixed content' you should normally have 'open with explorer' so that AutoRun of CDs will work.

Thank goodness for goooogle:cool:

fobotcso
30th Jul 2003, 05:06
As well as that, try disabling the Firewall when you try the Autoplay. I'm finding that ZoneAlarmPro is pretty intrusive and I have to turn it off whenever try to download from certain sites or try to run an installation program from autoplay.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Jul 2003, 05:35
Big Red ' L ',

I would also check your associations, there is an option which pops up when you put a disk in a CD-ROM that gives you options to play it in one of various players and the final option to Take No Action. If you clicked on Take No Action and there was a checkmark in Always Do Selected Action it will stop it from Autoplaying.

Take Care,

Richard

BRL
30th Jul 2003, 20:10
Hi all. Many thanks for the replies.

So far no-good... :( Disabled Zone alarm and still no joy.
Richard, does this option come up when I insert a disk??? At the moment, nothing happens at all...... :confused: Nothing comes up, I just wait for ages hoping something will happen....!!

Thanks again chaps... :)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Jul 2003, 22:35
Big Red ' L ',

I have also herd that any version Easy CD Creator that is 5.02d or earlier can kill your autorun too. If you do not have Easy CD Creator or it is newer than version 5.02d then try this registry hack.

Registry hack to enable Autorun again:

Make sure that the AutoPlay feature is enabled in the registry:

1) Click Start, and then click Run.

2) Type regedit, and then click OK.

3) In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom

4) In the right pane, go to step g if the value for Autorun is 1.

5) If the value for Autorun is 0, right-click Autorun, and then click Modify.

6) In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type 1 under Value data, and then click OK.

7) A value of 0xb5 in the following registry key turns off the AutoRun feature for CDs:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\Explorer\NoDriveTypeAutoRun

You must set the hexadecimal value to 91 to enable the AutoRun feature.

8) On the File menu, click Exit

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If you are not comfortable with editing your registry, DO NOT DO IT!

BRL
31st Jul 2003, 02:04
Hi Richard, thanks for that. Still no joy though. I done it exactly as you say and it still wont work......!!!!!

Cheers,
Paul. :confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Jul 2003, 02:48
Paul,

Since you have verified in the Registry that Autorun is enabled make sure that your CD-ROM driver is current:

1) Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2) On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

3)In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, and then right-click the CD-ROM drive that you want to update. Click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the latest driver for your CD-ROM drive.

Take Care,

Richard

BRL
31st Jul 2003, 02:48
Hold it, stop everything....Joy of joys, its done...!!!!!! :ok:
I restarted my pc and popped a disk in and its working again.... :D Its brilliant, thanks Richard, your a star..!!!!!! :ok: :D

Edited because of cross posting. It was the regkey that done it. I didn't reboot untill later so didnt know... :)