PDA

View Full Version : My Travel - Goa

The Filth
29th Jul 2003, 19:50
I understand My Travel fly to Goa (via Bahrain) during the appropriate holiday season. Is anyone able to tell me what sort of aircraft they use. I understand it might be either a Boeing 757 or one of the variations of Airbus.

Thank you in advance.

newswatcher
29th Jul 2003, 20:14
TF, I am often intrigued why people ask certain questions on the forum and this is one of those occasions! So may I be impertinent and ask why you need to know? If you "want" it to be a 757, and it is actually the Airbus, would that be sufficient to make you change your holiday plans and go with another carrier?

Just curious, and I believe the answer is the Airbus! :)

Evanelpus
29th Jul 2003, 20:23
Have you ever thought he may want to know purely out of interest? He may be flying with them to Goa and just simply wants to know the aircraft type.

Personally, the type of equipment flying a route would not make me change carriers.

The Filth
29th Jul 2003, 20:45
Rather than quote you both, I'll respond in one reply.

It's in relation to an item I'm writing. I'm from an age and background where accuracy, to me, is important. If an aircraft is a mark 6, or the speed of a vehicle at the time was 87 mph, then there is no need to state 'it was a mark 5 or 6' or 'the car was travelling at about 85 mph' et cetera. If the exact facts are known or can be established, why waffle with approximates? Just one of my little idiosyncrasies.

Thanks anyway.

newswatcher
29th Jul 2003, 21:08
TF, thanks for that, I was wondering whether it was "work" or "pleasure".

Evanelpus, I did not wish to start an argument, I was merely trying to work out why it mattered, since I could not immediately think of a reason. Perhaps what I should have said was that, if TF had given this extra information in the first question, it might have improved the "quality" of the answers, that's all.

Whilst the Airbus may normally be used, on at least one occasion when it was not available, I believe a DC-10 was substituted for Mytravel's LGW passengers.

The Filth
29th Jul 2003, 21:20
...Perhaps what I should have said was that, if TF had given this extra information in the first question, it might have improved the "quality" of the answers, that's all.

Talking of extra information / "quality" of answers, are you able to elaborate on the ...and I believe the answer is the Airbus reply? I'm a stickler for exact detail and consequently, would have made a lousy Labour Party spin doctor. :O

newswatcher
29th Jul 2003, 21:32
Sorry TF, just trying to help, I am not in a position to know that answer definitely, hence my slight prevarication! However, I do know that MyTravel pax have used both the A330 and DC-10 to Goa, but I don't think the latter is a "permanent" MyTravel aircraft.

I shall retire now and leave it to the "experts"! :{

woderick
29th Jul 2003, 23:44
For MyTravel flights to Goa, Trivandum, and Mahe for the winter months from LGW the standard equipment is the A330, with a tech stop in Baharain. This can be substituted by a DC10-30 in dire need. This would normally be a long term technical problem like an unscheduled engine change. The use of the DC10 brings with it extra downroute delay waiting for the crew to come back into hours after minimum rest.

The Filth
29th Jul 2003, 23:48
woderick - Thank you for your assistance.

rsoman
30th Jul 2003, 18:08
Newswatcher

It might be interesting to know that while the aircraft type available for any scheduled service can be easily known from any number of sources in the internet (skyguide/amadeus et among many), it is very difficult to get the information about charter services . I beleive one of the most easiest and reliable sources is a timetable brought about by some local spotters group in UK(please correct me if I am wrong) for this information.

Regards

The Filth
1st Aug 2003, 07:35
Curious - why should a question I posed about a civil charter flight be moved to the Military Aircrew Forum? Did I let slip a secret, or was the question judged a security threat?

rsoman
1st Aug 2003, 23:15
Goa's airport is controlled by the Indian Navy !!!

Cheers

WHBM
2nd Aug 2003, 01:35
I believe one of the most easiest and reliable sources is a timetable brought about by some local spotters group in UK
rsoman:

I think you are referring to "Airport Timetables UK", which has been on the market with summer and winter editions for many years. There are others but this is the most established, complete and accurate.

www.airtimepublishing.co.uk

rsoman
2nd Aug 2003, 03:56
Thanks WHBM
Yes it was "Airport Timetables UK" which I was referring to.

Cheers

Georgeablelovehowindia
2nd Aug 2003, 15:48
I wonder why the tech stop in Bahrain when the A330 (and the DC10-30) are both perfectly capable of doing the trip non-stop.
Perhaps it might have something to do with better crew utilisation i.e. we mustn't have the beggars sunning themselves on various beaches around the Indian Ocean!

A330ETOPS
3rd Aug 2003, 20:23
They use the A330-200 on the GOA routes. The number of PAX on this a/c are 360, which means poor legroom, so i'll take emirates for example, as they have 230 seats on the 330. MyTravel have an extra 130 seats. MyTravel have 4 A330's in fleet, each having 49 premiair gold seats. The MTOW of these aircraft are 507,040LBS, with a cruising speed of 520 mph