PDA

View Full Version : Cotents Adviser

scran
29th Jul 2003, 14:03
Having a minor issue with IE and Contents Adviser.

Occassionally, my Contents Adviser runs amok and I have to keep resetting it. Sometimes it will be ok for ages, sometimes (like now) it plays up every time I try to use IE. Even stops me (because it will not allow the page to open) updating McAfee Virus scan online.

I believe there is a simple fix (but have forgotten what it was). Anyone have any clues?

Thanks

Scran

fobotcso
29th Jul 2003, 16:39
When IE "breaks" the usual advice is to uninstall and re-install. You keep your history and cookies etc.

But say your Windows Version and IE version. Try an update if you're on old versions.

Microsoft Download Site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?langid=52&displaylang=en)

Are you sure that it is not your Firewall that's keeping you from downloading from McAfee?

scran
30th Jul 2003, 06:53
Thanks Fobotsco..I'll give that a go...probably time to update anyway.

And no - I'm sure it's not the firewall...

PaperTiger
2nd Aug 2003, 03:05
Seems a couple of folks are having problems with Content Advisor after letting the kid(s) on.

Not wishing to alarm unnecessarily, but abnormal C.A. behaviour is one of the symptoms of a recent worm. Blocking access to AV sites (eg. Norton) is another of its tricks. Anyway FWIW:
TROJ_QAZ.A

A new worm the QaZ worm can wreak Havoc with the registry. It can set the content on IExplorer to not display any websites and then set a password on your content advisor.

To get rid of the password:
The following steps will remove any password set in the Internet Explorer Content Advisor and allow you to reset the program to its original state.

1. Click on Start and choose Run.
2. Type in RegEdit and select OK.
3. Now click on the little plus sign to the left of H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
4. Continue to drill down, always clicking on the plus sign at the left of the named key, through Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version and Policies.
5. Now click on the Ratings folder.
6. In the right pane of the RegEdit window, you'll see an icon called Key. Click on it and press Delete.
7. Next, choose Registry and then Exit to exit RegEdit. You've just deleted your original Content Advisor password.
8. Restart the computer and run Internet Explorer again.
9. Choose View and then Internet Options (or Options for version 3.x)
10. Click on the Content tab and click on Disable. When asked for a password, don't enter anything; just click on OK. This will disable Content Advisor because there's no longer a password.

This Internet worm also functions as a backdoor tool, which gives a remote user control to the infected PC. It is network aware and is able to spread through shared resources over local area network. It disguises itself as NOTEPAD.EXE , having renamed the original to NOTE.COM. The backdoor component of the Trojan is very destructive because it allows the remote user to upload and execute another Trojan or other malicious programs.

scran
4th Aug 2003, 14:09
Thanks PaperTiger - noted
:ok: :ok: