PDA

View Full Version : Monarch - What Are They Like?

BAe 146-100
29th Jul 2003, 03:29
Hi,

I’m flying with Monarch on the 16th August from AGP to MAN. After watching "Holiday Airline" they sound like a good airline to fly on. If anyone has flown on MON what did you think of them?

http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/0/3/0/287030.jpg

BAe 146-100

Boss Raptor
29th Jul 2003, 03:47
I like Monarch...never a bad flight, often go to BJL on them...old fashioned, simple and friendly...they dont try to be what they are not...they are a charter airline and they are alright as that...Mr. Bernstein has the right attitude...

As a youngster I remember the last Monarch Britannia at Luton, the B720's, BAC1-11's...

Not sure about the new paint job with purple instead of black...

BAe 146-100
29th Jul 2003, 05:35
Hi,

What are the new cabins like? :)

longarm
29th Jul 2003, 16:36
Cabins haven't changed. If your flying to AGP from Man then it could be a charter or scheduled flight. If scheduled it will likely be on a A320 or A321 with a very good service including papers free bar etc. Have a good trip.

Evanelpus
29th Jul 2003, 20:45
Personally I wouldn't choose them. Probably because of two bad experiences with them, outbound flight four hour delay and inbound one was 3.5 hours late. You can accept delays as they are inevitable but what peed me off was the lies the reps told us to cover the delays.

I would much rather have someone own up to not knowing, than trying to fabricate reasons in the hope that bulls**t baffles brains.

There again, I know of people who swear by Monarch, you pays your money, yadda yadda yadda.

BAe 146-100
30th Jul 2003, 05:24
Hi,

longarm, it is a charter flight and should be on the 757-200.

BAe 146-100

Itswindyout
30th Jul 2003, 23:37
Never flown charter, and suspect leg room a problem.....but scheduled is a fantastic deal......seat allocation, free newspaper, free video, and headset, free hot meal, (s), excellent quality, as well as free bar....I am sure charter is not as "free" with the goodies.
As to delays, sh1t happens.
As to lack of info from reps, these are the charters, and not the operator. They have a different agenda.
They are my schedule of choice, and now new route Manchester to Gibraltar.....go for it MONARCH.

Evanelpus
30th Jul 2003, 23:46
Windy

Hear what you are saying. Even though my MON experience was a charter flight the 'reps' in question wore the full Monarch regalia, so to my way of thinking, they were not agents.

Delays, shti does happen. Recently I was at AGP waiting for an EZY flight which turned out to be cancelled. I felt the 'reps' at the airport did more for me on that occasion than the fully suited and booted MON staff did.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, mine is, I would be hard pushed to recommend Monarch based on what happened to me.

BAe 146-100
31st Jul 2003, 01:50
Hi,

Evanelpus, what lies did the reps tell you?

BAe 146-100

Bealzebub
1st Aug 2003, 01:31
Evanelpus,

You may not be aware of the fact, but the first Monarch employees you are likely to meet on a charter flight are the crew when you walk on board. At every airport flights are handled by handling agents whose job it is to process most if not every aspect of the flights ground movements incuding passenger handling.

These companies are paid to "rep"-resent the airlines interest and of course they are expected to do so to the best of their ability with the customers needs ( the airline) paramount. These handling companies vary in quality depending on the location and the level of competition in the local market. Very often it is a case of a local monopoly and the customer airline is forced to accept the situation.

You are right to some degree in that these companies are representing the customer airline and any inadequacy reflects on the airline itself. However it is not always something the airline can control, other than to raise known issues with the management of the handling company itself.

In the situation where a delay arises you are normally given an apology and a brief explanation during the introductory P.A when you are on board an aircraft. I cannot see much benefit to the "reps" in lying to you. I suspect it is more a case of the person having an innacurate or incomplete picture of the true circumstances of the delay. This shouldn't happen in an ideal world but as we all know it does. All charter companies operate in similar circumstances and are subject to the same frustrations as indeed are their customers (the tour companies) and of course the customers customer, you the passenger.

The comparison between an Easyjet scheduled flight and a Monarch charter flight is not really comparing like with like. On a scheduled flight ( and Monarch does operate these ) the airline is entering into a contract directly with you the customer. On a charter flight you the customer are entering into a contract with a tour operator. In turn that tour operator is responsible for entering into its own contracts with the airline as well as hoteliers, coach operators etc. The tour company will often dictate the level of service to be provided. The only similarity will be that the airline will provide exactly the same well maintained modern airplane, and the same highly experienced and trained crew. Beyond that the meals ,services, leg room, flight timings, etc will be as contracted between the tour operator and the airline.

Perhaps it is a little ironic that a scheduled flight can simply be cancelled whereas a charter flight must normally operate regardless, even if substantially delayed. It is often easier to tell passengers that their flight is cancelled and they are to be transferred to the next available flight, than it is to explain that engineers are working on a problem at another airport and you can only guess when the aircraft will actually arrive.

In summary it is a complicated industry and one that is far from perfect. I am sure that most if not all airlines (and Monarch certainly do ), try everything within their control to minimize disruption to their customers ( tour operators and passengers) and ensure that all purchasors of their product are satisfied and happy. The products themselves are varied (scheduled and chartered ) and even within the variations may be subject to options ( classes of travel, extra leg room etc). The only things that don't vary are the quality of safety and efficiency that are the bedrock of the airline, indeed any sucessful airline !

LGS6753
7th Aug 2003, 05:02
I've loaded myself onto MON aircraft numerous times, usually with a ticket.
They offer a good product at the right price. From my point of view they are professional, crews seem well-trained, and service levels are above average.
Many of the charter flights seem to be consolidated, ie operate for a number of tour operators, so the service level is specified by the airline rather than the charterer.
Scheduled services offer a high level of service for a loco price (unless you book late).

Have a good flight.

BAe 146-100
7th Aug 2003, 17:31
Hi,

LGS6753, Monarch's Scheduled fares are fairly cheap. For 4 people from MAN to AGP it is around £400.

BAe 146-100 :)

stanley37uk
7th Aug 2003, 18:30
Have just booked Monarch EDI-AGP mid - Sept . Their flights at Edinburgh are almost always on time ( granted EDI is not a peak charter airport ) .
When shopping around some people told me the price included a meal , others said no . I am guessing operators are allocated seats as thomson said " the flight is full " whereas Airtours and Flightline had seats

dannyo
8th Aug 2003, 22:21

Ma and Pa dannyo fly Monarch Crown Service (scheduled departures) very regularly and have never had a complaint yet if that helps!

:ok:

BBCapt
19th Aug 2003, 17:59
I regularly use Monarch Scheduled to go on/off duty...being Flight Deck for a living I have to do a LOT of positioning flights.....and for the money they are pretty unbeatable!

BAe 146-100
19th Aug 2003, 18:13
Hi,

Thanks for all your reply's. Had a great flight as always on Monarch, the aircraft was 757-200 G-MONJ (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/348638/M/). Flight left almost on time, cabin crew were friendly. Flight was smooth throughout, meal served was nice. And really good landing at MAN :ok:. Only one small fault really, what has happened to there in-flight magazine! All you get now is a duty free selection and in-flight entertainment programmes!

BAe 146-100