PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive fare on a "low-cost" carrier

brabazon
28th Jul 2003, 23:02
Ok for amusement only (let's not get too serious) - what is the most expensive return fare that you have heard of for a "low cost" carrier. We all know that "low cost" carriers' fares increase near to the day of departure, but just how high do they go.

I've just looked at a day return to Rome from Stansted for tomorrow with Ryanair which retails at £423.66 (all in). Anyone better that?

tampabay
29th Jul 2003, 06:55
Well i know this is outstanding circumstances but when Celtic were in the Uefa cup final (im not a celtic fan, Glasgow Rangers are my team) i was trying to get a late flight to seville or Barcelona, i think it was Ryanair or maybe Easyjet that priced a return flight at £575 or close to that figure.

B757RATED
30th Jul 2003, 13:58
Good argument for a fixed fare low cost airline. I.e. 'NOW'.

You don't get caught out at the last minute with a ridiculous fare.

TwinAisle
30th Jul 2003, 17:11
Certainly one argument for a fixed price airline.... but the counter arguments are pretty compelling too....

Namely - airlines are in it to make money, and to stay in business. (Forget all the service provision stuff, they are businesses). Businesses need cash flow (lack of it means curtains far quicker than making a loss ever does).

Now - if I can buy a seat today for less (and a LOT less) than I can in three months time, I am likely to give the airline my cash now, rather than earn 0.01% on it in the bank. If all I am risking by leaving booking until the day before is the chance of not getting a seat (which is pretty slim, few if any aircraft leave 100% full).... why should I bother?

I don't think fixed fare ticketing has a long future personally. You can do it where overheads and variable costs are low compared to the service provided (eg, buses and trains) - but for an airline, I'm not convinced....

TA

glider insider
30th Jul 2003, 22:24
i seem to remember an airline pricing team watching the uefa cap draws online and immediately changing all seats to a fully flexible fare only so that cheap travel was not an option...

the seats all sold though... so i suppose supply and demand still works.....

Scottie Dog
7th Aug 2003, 16:20
I have just tried to do a booking Manchester to Dublin for travel 8th August. Aer Lingus are showing full in Business class, but would have charged GBP282.20 inc tax. Ryanair have availability but at GBP369.52 - plus there credit card charge of GBP4.00.

I did look, out of interest at a one-way fare from Dublin to Manchester and for similar timings - around 1830-1930 - Ryanair are charrging EUR213.51 (plus CC fee) and Aer Lingus EUR89.80 for travel in economy.

The former I suppose that is supply and demand for you, the latter seems more like a ripoff !