PDA

View Full Version : BA Cabin Crew and Seniority

BWBriscoe
28th Jul 2003, 22:01
Can someone please explain to me how BA's Cabin Crew seniority system works?

Do some flights carry CSD's and Pursers?

Does BA have CSD's on it's Eurofleet, or do they just have Pursers?

Thanks!

Mashie Niblick
1st Aug 2003, 08:19
Seniority is "date of joining" the company.You have a staff number,and a seniority number.You can effectively be "junior" crew and be more "senior" than a CSD if you started employment with BA before said CSD.Seniority is primarily used for staff travel,ie onload priority is done in order of seniority rather than rank.There are some oddities however.I know of people who have taken C/crew jobs after being say, BHX ground staff and "lose" their seniority and have to start again.This is something to do with different contracts...I think LGW Eurofleet is the same.
I am not completely "au fait" with the reasons for this,but it happens.It is complicated.
I imagine someone else will be able to give a more a detailed response than mine.
And yes,there are CSD's on Eurofleet at LHR

Sorry,forgot to say,
All longhaul flights carry 1 CSD and either 3xprs(767) 3xprs(777) and 4x prs(747).
We are given a briefing sheet at check-in with a list of all crew names in rank and seniority.
CSD -at top
Prs - in order of seniority
Main crew -in order of seniority

CSD goes down list asking people where they would like to work on a/c,so you choose you working position accordingly.
Sometimes you may have a good choice,ie high up the list,other times if it is a more "senior " crew you will have little or no choice.It's different every flt.
Hope this was helpfull.

ramraideruk
20th Aug 2003, 19:06
I have a friend who was senior at Gatiwck Eurofleet. he did lose his seniority and had to start again, when he went to Haethrow Longhaul. he says it was definitely worth it though. Took him about two years to get his longhaul though.

WeLieInTheShadows
21st Aug 2003, 06:43
He must have been at EOG over 7 yrs ago to be aT LHLHR as the position as it stands now is you go to EFLHR - loose everything (apart from date of joining) - start again - then go from there.

This means if you end up at the bottom of the briefing sheet even if the person sitting next to you started 2 days before you transfered. They are still more senior in that fleet because you came from EFLGW and you loose all rights to bidding an position on the aircraft or fo transfer to another fleet when you transfer.

Happy days!

Hand Solo
21st Aug 2003, 08:12
Yes but aren't the ex-LGW crew so much more fun to fly with!

frangatang
21st Aug 2003, 16:01
No chum,they are all a bunch of workshy overpaid scoungers who are hellbent on bringing the airline to its knees. Dump the lot and start again without them

CandyBender
21st Aug 2003, 16:58
Hmmmm methinks the previous poster has an axe to grind with BA cabin crew......check out his previous posts! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mashie Niblick
22nd Aug 2003, 00:37
CandyB,
Me thinks you are right."Scroungers","Primadonnas" and "Platelayers" to name but a few terms of endearment bestowed upon us by the "Jovial" frangatang.
Strangely enough,judging by his previous posts,HE is flight crew......with BA !

A person to be simply "ignored".I expect he is used to that though,as with an "attitude" like that,I would guess he spends many a lonely night downroute "pottering" in his room!

Thankfully,bad apples of his like are few and far between the excellent Guys and Girls who sit up at the "pointy end"

frangatang
22nd Aug 2003, 02:30
Hours pottering in the room eh,surely you should ask cabin crew that particularly sitting in thei rooms in narita counting their allowances!

driftdown
22nd Aug 2003, 03:03
Frangatang

Get a life.

I am married to a LGW senior crew member, er where did the overpaid bit come from. Weeks of 24 hrs availability and then a roster not worth a stuff, sorry I must have missed something in her pay check.

I hate to think how people are managing on the new contracts with families to support.

LGW is a great place to get too, fly from and all the people I came across were absolutely lovely

Hand Solo
22nd Aug 2003, 08:55
Loathe as I am to say this I think I have to agree with the criticisms of Frangatang. The ex-LGW crew now at LHR are all on the new contract and represent some of what is best of BA cabin crew. Hard working, sociable and great fun, without the anti-pilot attitude that often prevails at LHR. If you've got a problem with the overpaid harridans of LHR long haul then take a ticket and join the very long queue of people who know why our company is going down the tubes. But don't blame the ex-EOG bunch!

WeLieInTheShadows
24th Aug 2003, 07:34
Just like to point out that I am based at EFLGW and I am quite happy working my guts out and not seeing my GF; for less money and less days off than my LHR collegues. You know why? Becuase it's all about quality of live VS money. I chose quaility of life. Not at home....but at work.

I enjoy my work and my base. I got no desire to change,

The Ex LGW bunch now at LHR; I hope are injecting some fun and reallity into the base instead of just counting their allowances. I miss so many of them and wish them all well at LHR. I hope they inject some life into that base and take everyone out for a big party every chance they get!!!

Shame there is such a disparity - or else everyone would be bidding for LGW not LHR - money is such a big motivator.

It's tough being the poor relation....but sometimes you are the happier one.