PDA

View Full Version : DVD Playback issue in XP

Parapunter
28th Jul 2003, 17:33
You lot seem like a clever bunch:ok: I've whipped my DVD rom out of my old pc & put it in my new one, which is a 2400 athlon on an asus m/board, running xp home with an 80g hdd & a cd rom drive.

I've set the dvd rom to be the slave, with the cd rom as the master drive. The problem I have is that xp only very occasionally recognises that a dvd disc is in the drive - you have to repeatedly insert it for the system to eventually pick it up. It usually sees no disc at all. However, windows always recognises a cd rom placed in the drive, leading me to think that the issue is software based & not to do with my ability to plug stuff in. I've tried manually running dvd's in wmp to no avail & for the record, I run Cyberdrive power dvd 3.0, which I have updated with their xp compatibulty patch. Still have the issue.

I have just downloaded a patch from Microsoft (but haven't yet installed it) which talks about direct x 8.0 causing no playback issues on dvd roms, however, I'm farly sure the new pc is running dx 9.0 or above. Any ideas chaps?

fobotcso
28th Jul 2003, 22:53
To get you going, do this: Start>Run>dxdiag (press <RTN>) and you'll have more info on your system than you wish you had.

At the bottom of the "System" tabbed page there is the Version of DirectX.

Get back after you've had a go at that.

Parapunter
29th Jul 2003, 16:04
Fobotsco, it's dx 8.1, so perhaps the ms patch may do the trick?

fobotcso
29th Jul 2003, 16:33
I guess so. Wouldn't do any harm. I assume you know about this site and are happy with it. It seems to be exactly what you want. It's useful to be on Broadband for this kind of thing.

Microsoft Download Site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?langid=52&displaylang=en)

Luck