PDA

View Full Version : A proper send off!

chrisleeds2003
28th Jul 2003, 04:15
Leeds Bradford ‘Salutes’ Retiring KLM Pilot
25 July 2003

Captain Murray Addison has been a pilot with KLM since 1989 and last week made his final touchdown at Leeds Bradford Airport, as he embarks on a new journey in to retirement.

While he was saying his farewells to depart Amsterdam Schipol Airport, Leeds Bradford was busy preparing a real surprise for Murray upon his arrival.
As Flight KL1543 landed at LBA a staggering 20 minutes ahead of schedule, Murray was greeted with two airport fire tenders which created an amazing arch of water over the Fokker 100 Jet, he gave a royal wave through the cockpit window to show his appreciation.

Once the aircraft had parked Murray emerged and was given a bouquet of flowers as he commented.

“ As I departed Amsterdam this evening the Dutch Air Traffic control all said their good-byes to me over the radio, to arrive here at Leeds Bradford to such an amazing send off is excellent. I would like to thank all those involved in arranging this super send off and all those I have worked with over the years.”

http://www.lbia.co.uk/newsstory.php?storyid=20030725

Shed Driver
28th Jul 2003, 20:16
Great stoty and good luck to that bloke, seems a good time to retire out of this crap industry. The pic on the link is just great, it will appear soon in Flight or the Balpa mag in one of those 'name the caption' competitions... hilarious... :p

Max Angle
30th Jul 2003, 00:53
Same thing was done for one our (bmi) Captains recently, the fire boys made a water arch at the entrance to the Bravo's (oops Cul-de-sac 1!) as he taxied in. Saw him back in the crew room and he was really chuffed about it. Also saw an Air India 747 getting the same treatment at LHR a while back on the skippers last flight. Nice to know some bloody jobsworth hasn't put a stop to it on the grounds of wasting water or something.

pilotwolf
30th Jul 2003, 05:19
Seen it a few times at LGW too. Think it tends to be the American airlines who like to send their Captain's home, on their last trip, in style.

It's quite impressive to watch - unfortunately never had the camera handy.

woodpecker
30th Jul 2003, 06:34
I too had the same on my final departure from Bermuda!

Considering they are always short of water on the island they "did me proud" and the arch was just big enough to get the 777 through!

MPH
1st Aug 2003, 00:42
Had the same done to me departing SEA..local fire brigade did the honors! And, to my surprise, on arrival at SPL, had the airport authorities accompany me to my parking, with a motorcade!
Nice jesture, after so many years...thought at the most, I would get a handshake and 'bob's your uncle'.
Just goes to show..some company's still care?
:D

MaximumPete
2nd Aug 2003, 00:28
Sir Michael throws an excellent lunch for his retirees and presents them with a silver plate.

PFM

MP:D

woodpecker
2nd Aug 2003, 01:22
Skippy gives his cabin crew a framed picture of all the aircraft they have flown. The Nigels get nowt!

Max Angle
2nd Aug 2003, 02:40
Well a retired Nigel I know has a very nice framed picture of a 747-400 with a little message engraved on a plaque. He also has the best retirement present of all, stopping work at 55 with a whopping great pension and time to enjoy it!.

woodpecker
8th Aug 2003, 06:20
I think you will find the framed picture is from the pilots own retirement society, and nothing to do with the company.

I know what you mean about the pension scheme. I was forced to join at the age of twenty, and after contributing for thirty odd years am now enjoying the benefits.

With regard to the sendoff in Bermuda, I real treat, but it's a shame that this was organised by my family and not my company. Perhaps the flight plan form (if there still is such a thing) would be the place for the company flight planning department to add a note with regard to the individuals last flight..