PDA

View Full Version : bmi - skint, lazy or both?

limpbiscuits
27th Jul 2003, 22:26
Why have bmi given up on repainting their fleet?

The new livery is the best around...

but the interim scheme is dreadful.. and the emb145's still have a diamond....

Surely they have had long enough now to get more repainted? or is it just that Mickey Bish is gonna sell em on soon - why bother?

HZ123
27th Jul 2003, 23:26
Neither of these but during tough times things like this have to slide. An EMB145 probably costs about £7000 - £9000 to respray but that does take into account the loss of the aircraft. You will also notice that BA also have a number of a/c in the old livery.

Anthony Carn
28th Jul 2003, 00:32
Are "skint" and/or "lazy" the only options you cosider to be possible, then ? :rolleyes:

ETOPS
28th Jul 2003, 00:55
HZ123

Not aware of any of our mainline machines still in "Landor" but there may be a couple of J41's/ATP's still to be done......

WHBM
28th Jul 2003, 01:15
ETOPS:

Regarding the BA livery, there are of course still plenty of the various "tailfins of the world" about, which I think is now regarded as the "old livery" - Landor being the one before that.

Correct me, BA people, maybe, but I understood this tail artwork was applied with adhesive vinyls and that it would thus be a quick and easy task to replace, no paint required. It doesn't seem to have been the case. As this livery was identified with Rob Ayling, I would have thought BA would have been keen to move on from it.

BAe 146-100
28th Jul 2003, 01:55
Hi,

British Airways ATP G-MANE is still in the old livery.

BAe 146-100

Dispatcher
28th Jul 2003, 20:09
limpbiscuits...........i bought this up a while back !!!

it is very slow agreed, even GMIDJ is coming back in interim colours having a lot of its skin off after the hailstorm damage and being out of service for a very long time!!!

maybe there is something more sinister in the offing..... (!!!) ie virgin takeover !! ...(ho hum, bet that starts a tirade from someone, somewhere !)

flyingfrog
28th Jul 2003, 20:24
As bmi are looking to aquire some 319's, could it be that they are to return some of the 321's to Airbus as part of the deal, therefore no need to paint them in new livery. Is it not more economical to operate a full 320/319 than a 75% full 321?

BAe 146-100
28th Jul 2003, 21:05
Hi,

Even two of bmi's A320's (G-MIDZ) (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/253030/M/) and (G-MIDY) (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/372377/M/) are still painted in BD's old colours.

bateman
29th Jul 2003, 08:10
It might be worthwhile to look at the most profitable airlines around at the moment, and see how much of a s*** they give about the state of their aircraft paintwork. Go to stanstead, and youre lucky to see more than 4 aircraft painted the same.

Anthony Carn
29th Jul 2003, 13:56
It might be worthwhile to look at the most profitable airlines around at the moment, and see how much of a s*** they give about the state of their aircraft paintwork.
Well, you heard it here first, folks !

All those financial wizards racking their brains and there was the answer staring us in the face all the time !

PS - Nobody mention how much bmi lost last year. :rolleyes:

Little Blue
30th Jul 2003, 17:48
Hey, Anthony?..
You been using the Pilotbrief PC to post on here, again ??!
I preferred the livery from the late 80's, that was my British Midland!!
Still, could be worse, they could all be stuck in the Star Alliance livery....yeuch !

;)

Bus429
1st Aug 2003, 19:33
It is more likely BMI intend to respray/rebrand the aircraft during a scheduled maintenance input.

Dispatcher
2nd Aug 2003, 05:43
speaking of which then, at which point do aircraft such as these come in for mz checks that would involve complete respray ?

ie, year or number of landings or takeoffs, or even hours flying ?

anyone any ideas ?

surely at least bd's oldest a321 should have had a major check by now and been coloured in ?

BAe 146-100
3rd Aug 2003, 03:46
Hi,

I think the new livery is excellent, but the old livery was nice too!

http://www.londonaviation.here.co.uk/previews/g-obmh-low.jpg

BAe 146-100

Anthony Carn
3rd Aug 2003, 14:46
I've not seen many of the very latest yet.......

No paint on the nose, speckled finish spreading back from there. Very realistic cracked windshield effect.

Only seen the one so far.