PDA

View Full Version : Help with Virgin dialup

stickyb
27th Jul 2003, 14:18
Does anyone use the Virgin.net dialup?

If so, can you access hotmail?

I have started getting DNS errors on www.hotmail.msn.com , as if the Virgin DNS server is blocking it.

Everything else works fine, including access to hotmail from another (non Virgin) system. So far Virgin support have just managed to suggest that the hotmail machine is down!

BEagle
27th Jul 2003, 15:33
I use the virgin.net dial up and have just tried accessing Hotmail without difficulty. To find the usual 150 junk e-mails and nothing in the inbox........

amanoffewwords
27th Jul 2003, 17:24
It might be a redirection issue - when I type the url you gave in my browser it redirects to a page relating to MSN passport. I'd suggest just using www.hotmail.com or www.msn.com whichever you prefer and let their servers sort out any redirection that may be required depending on your setup.

hth

amofw

stickyb
28th Jul 2003, 02:00
Sorry, amanoffewwords, I should have explained the problem better.

I can log into the hotmail account using www.hotmail.com etc, ok, but the next screen after logging on sticks and eventually give DNS error trying to access an extremely long url, the start of which is the address I quoted.

Also, If I try and ping or tracert to the address I quoted, that also fails with timeout.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Jul 2003, 02:26
BEagle,

I use a program for handling junkmail called Mailwasher Pro (http://www.firetrust.com/products/mailwasherpro/?PHPSESSID=ae6f93c52c68e898c34fae7f42c19fd6). It cuts though all the spam and even bounces the spam mail back to the spammer. I highly recommend it.

http://www.naples-air-center.com/DAoC/mailwasher-pro.jpg

Just be careful, sending the Spam back to the Spammers is very addicting!

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. stickyb sorry for highjacking your thread.

amanoffewwords
29th Jul 2003, 03:46
Except that Mailwasher won't work with Hotmail as it doesn't support POP3

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Jul 2003, 05:33
amanoffewwords,

Here are the details from the website I listed above:

Product Information

Latest Version: 3.1.0 - 9 June 2003 (changelog)
View e-mail on the server before it gets to your computer
Delete e-mail or bounce spam back to sender
Friends and blacklist support
Inbuilt fuzzy logic to detect spam
Attractive, easy to use interface
30 day trial, then pay only $29.95 to keep it forever
Works with POP3, MSN, Hotmail
Windows 95, 98, NT 4, ME, 2000 or XP
File size: 1.7 MB. Download Time: 5 mins @ 56kbps

Take Care,

Richard