PDA

View Full Version : Ek Perth Open Day

craic1510
27th Jul 2003, 12:18
Hi all,

Well the open day in Perth was a huge waste of time. There were about 160 people present so we waited for 2 hours for everyone to hand in their resumes.

We then watched the video on emirates and asked questions for another two hours about the company.

They then said thankyou for coming and they told us that the people they wanted to put through the group exercises they would call by 5pm last night for them to come back today. So much for giving everyone a fair go as in Sydney and Brisbane.

I knew about 5 people there at the open day, all expecting a chance at the group exercise etc, some with brilliant experience behind them etc and NONE of us got a call back. The rest of us go on file in Dubai and will be called next time they are in Perth! Hmmm, lets all sit around for another year so we can do this whole process over again.

It seems rude that in every other city, every person that walks in has a chance. Yesterday in Perth, they assured us that should we all have what it takes, they would invite us all back - but it seems to me they don't have a clue about people - as they are basing their call back decisions primarily on a brief resume rather than a persons actual ability to interact with others in the room. They should have least given us all a chance to sit through one group exercise before eliminating. There certainly were not 500 people plus as there were in Sydney in April, so I think 160 would be a lot more workable number.

It is a real shame that they have not learnt how to conduct their recruitment days properly. Many people, who would make fantastic cabin crew have missed their chance yet again, and I know I am not speaking alone on this issue.

However to anyone that did get a call back and was successful - i wish u all the luck in the world. Good on you! Please don't think me speaking my mind in such a way is directed towards any person that got through. I hope all goes well for you.

craic1510 :*

AndrewDima
27th Jul 2003, 14:57
Hello,

Very disappointing to hear such news. Seems pretty unprofessional by a company such as Emirates. Details like this should be made very clear to the public before the open day takes place.

Emirates have got a website to apply through and leave your resume on, including photos. It comes across to me as a complete waste of time to come to Australia and recieve all these cv's and choose a group to interview out of these resumes'. This could have been done in Dubai and then invitations could have been sent to the successful applicants who could of prepared themselves in a propper way.

Keep your heads up guys, they will be back soon!

Andrew! :\

Parry Hotter
27th Jul 2003, 18:09
Craic,

Sorry to hear that you were let down with your EK interview. If it makes you feel any better, I was also dissapointed by EK 3 years ago in Sydney.

The same kind of senario, except we all did get interviews. But every 30 mins or so, the recruiters were telling people to go. I have been to numorous interviews, and have always made it up to the final stage. I am now a FA with Qantaslink. But with EK, they did not want to know anything about me. I was out with the first cut. Like yourself, I witnessed many good future FA's that did not get a chance to shine.

Have you applied to other airlines?

SocialFlyer
27th Jul 2003, 19:24
To all of you who went to the EK Interviews in Perth,

Did anynone remember the names of the interviewers?? The reason I ask is because there are 2 in particular that are known to not take people and usually make the selection process difficult...

Cheers

SocialFlyer

Parry Hotter
27th Jul 2003, 19:47
I remember a male and female that were making all the selections when I went to the interview a few years ago.

I can not remember their names. The male was shortish and seemed quiet nice. The female was olived skinned, with dark hair.

I found this woman to be a touch intimadating, and that was how a lot of others on the day also felt.

As I have said before, I have been to many interviews, you win some you lose some, thats just the name of the game. But I must admit that the EK interview was the un fairest of them all in my opinion.

B777Cptn
27th Jul 2003, 23:14
Hi guys,

Well as Craic1510 said, the day was a bit of a disappointment, not quite what i was expecting, although it gave a good insight into EK as a company which was great!! Spose one good thing was it was the biggest 'perv-fest'. Soooooo many hot looking girls, all dressed up with their suits on, they looked sensational!!
It was a batchelors heaven!!!!! :cool:

The 2 EK recruiters didnt show up unil 0930 however they said that they left us out there so we could chat and meet all the other people. Then all 160 filed into the room and one by one handed in our CV's and took a seat. This took a good 2 hours to get everyone seated, although it took them ages to bring more seats in cos they didnt have enough.

Then we watched the video and sat there for another hour and a half while everyone asked their questions. I was a bit perturbed when the guy sitting next to me asked firstly how much luggage you were allowed to take as cabin crew, then he asked how many male cabin crew EK had..............he sounded disappointed at the small male/female ratio!!! :bored:

Then we were basically kicked out and told that if they wanted us for interviewes they would call by 5pm, needless to say, im still waiting for my call!!!

To be honest, i think this was more of an information day on EK as a company and their Cabin Crew. I wonder how many people they actually called back.

Socialflyer, the ladies names were Danielle and Rashka. Danielle had a faily prominent irish accent and Raska had a South African accent. They were interesting to listen to, and they certainly didnt sugar coat the Cabin Crew position. I thought they were quite honest about the job in general, pointing out the highs and the lows.

Anyways, thats my 5c worth.......again, it was a bit disappointing, but at least the CV's are going back to Dubai, and fingers crossed we might hear from them in another few months when they come back to Perth to recruit.

:ok:

crazysapphire
27th Jul 2003, 23:22
Hi guys,

Im sorry abt the news..I was disappointed too when I had my second interview with EK last June...the worst thing was for both my first n second interview, one of my interviewers is Danielle...:{My gosh, I was telling myself wat a luck im in...anyways, i still am trying another chance to get thru and if it take me to travel all the way to Dubai, i wont mind.....hehehehe;)

Dont let this experience disheartened u..take this as a learning experience..

Cheers

sydflyboy
28th Jul 2003, 08:34
The open day is purely a information day, and thats it, yes in other citys they have done assessment centres on the same day but I feel the recruitment drive is starting to slow done now and they have the chance to be more choosey.

craic1510
28th Jul 2003, 17:23
Hi all,

Well as I said I wasn't speaking for myself when I said I was upset! Yeah the recruiters were nice as always, however Danielle was at the assessment day in Sydney and remembered me the moment I walked up to her! I thought oh :mad: she's gonna drop me straight away. I didn't even get that far! I am not so sure about an Irish accent though 777 more like english :)

I realise their recruitment drive is slowing down, however they should have given us in Perth a fair go as in the other cities. It is a tad unfair that we couldn't even get a callback. Some of us waited a long time for them to come round again. To be quite honest I have given up on EK for the time being. It seems I keep running into a brick wall everytime. They don't inform people as they should. We could have saved our time and posted our resumes to them this Saturday!

I am heading to the UK in November in leu of getting a job over there. I have an interview with EasyJet lined up already and have reapplied to Virgin Atlantic after having to turn an interview down in March. Hopefully they will give me a second shot, I have more experience now that before. I sometimes think it might be better to start with the smaller airlines and work my way up, at least that way I have some flight hours behind me.

It seems a long way to go but I feel at the moment the chances of getting a job in Australia is wearing very thin. It seems they are firing more than hiring, or if they are hiring they aren't giving us a fair go.

What else can I say? :confused:

craic1510

Flying Kangaroo
28th Jul 2003, 17:48
Hi,

They have done more or less the same thing in their open day in Portugal, according to some friends of mine...

Craic1510

Good Luck with your interview :ok: anything just drop a PM

vdd
29th Jul 2003, 05:32
Hi Craic1510

Sorry to hear that things didn't go very well at all with Emirates. Good luck with your overseas plan! I'm sure your energy, enthusiasm and skills that you've learnt from attending interviews will pay off overseas.

Cheers
vdd

qfmike737
29th Jul 2003, 09:42
In terms of becoming a EK flight attendant .....Is it much easier to go oversease and obtain a position with a subsiduary company etc with Emirates then apply internally for a cabin crew position?

qfmike737
29th Jul 2003, 19:13
Hmm I guess that wasn't exactly the best question to post at this present moment lol.