PDA

View Full Version : Kmax Crash in Washington State

Autorotate
27th Jul 2003, 04:18
Pilots name has been released and it was a friend of mine Randy Harmon. Randy was flying the first Kmax into Taiwan for PHI and then went and worked for Superior Helicopter. Great pilot and a great person, will be very sadly missed.

Copter pilot killed in crash fighting wildfire

The Associated Press

KELLER, Ferry County - A helicopter dropping water on a wildfire on the Colville Indian Reservation crashed Friday evening, killing the pilot, authorities said.

The aircraft fighting the McGinnis Flats fire went down about three miles northwest of the town of Ferry in northeastern Washington, starting a small, new wildfire that was quickly contained, spokesman Nick Mickel said.

While Mickel and the Ferry County Sheriff's Office refused to discuss the status of the pilot, a Bureau of Indian Affairs spokesman said late Friday night the coroner had been called to the scene.

BIA duty officer Dick Leferink with the Colville Agency said he couldn't provide any additional details.

The pilot was alone in the helicopter.

The aircraft, owned by Superior Helicopter Leasing of Grants Pass, Ore., was a Kaman K-1200, said Nancy Corey, a Federal Aviation Administration operations officer in Renton. The K-1200 is a multipurpose helicopter that can carry suspended loads and is used for firefighting, forestry and logging.

The McGinnis Flats fire has burned 2,217 acres, and was 70 percent contained Friday. There were 638 firefighters on the line.

The fire started July 18 and was human caused. It has cost more than $2.5 million to fight.

There have been no serious injuries from any of the other wildfires now burning in Washington, which have charred more than 90,000 acres.

As the uncontrolled Farewell Creek fire moved toward the Loomis State Forest of north-

central Washington on Friday, fire crews rushed to protect trees that provide money for schools across the state.

Their goal is to prevent the fire from burning trees on state trust lands where logging proceeds are used to build public schools, Lands Commissioner Doug Sutherland said from Olympia.

The 63,856-acre Farewell Creek fire was burning four to six miles west of the 134,000-acre state forest.

"If we're successful in the construction of this preventive fire line, the fire should not have an effect on the common school trust fund," Sutherland said.

Timber sales from the forest east of Loomis in northern Okanogan County produce about $2.25 million a year for the state's school construction fund.

The Farewell Creek fire was burning northwest of the state forest and winds typically blow from the southwest, Sutherland said.

"It would take an extraordinary atmospheric situation to be able to push the fire south," he said.

However, the fire is so big it is creating powerful winds that uproot trees and hurl them half a mile away, sparking new spot fires, U.S. Forest Service officials have said.

The fire, burning in roadless wilderness where motorized vehicles are prohibited, is being fought by helicopters dropping water and retardant chemicals. Ground forces are on the wilderness perimeter, hoping to keep the flames inside.

Fire managers have predicted the fire could reach 190,000 acres and continue to burn until the heavy rains, or early snows, of the fall. They say it could cost $69 million to fight.

The fire was started by lightning June 29 and has cost nearly $21 million to fight so far.

Elsewhere in Washington, a 25,000-acre fire burning in grass and brush on the U.S. Army's Yakima Training Center in central Washington was fully contained Friday.

The 1,064-acre Watt Road fire southwest of Cheney, near Spokane, also was fully contained Friday, fire spokeswoman Josie Williams said.

:(

leading edge
29th Jul 2003, 00:34
I am very sorry to hear of Randy's death in this accident. I also knew him through working together. He was an expert at "flying the long line" especially with the KMAX.

Sincere condolences to his family, they were his life line when working away from home. RIP Randy...

LE

Barannfin
7th Aug 2003, 01:19
I got this off the NTSB site. Just some new info.

"NTSB Identification: SEA03GA153
14 CFR Public Use
Accident occurred Friday, July 25, 2003 in Keller, WA
Aircraft: Kaman K-1200, registration: N314KA
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On July 25, 2003, approximately 1703 Pacific daylight time, a Kaman K-1200 helicopter, N314KA, registered to Superior Leasing LLC, operated by the Department of Interior (Bureau of Indian Affairs), and being flown by a commercial pilot, was destroyed following a loss of control in cruise and subsequent in flight collision with terrain within 1,000 feet of the Brush Creek fire line at the McGinnis Flats forest fire near Keller, Washington. The pilot sustained fatal injuries and a post crash fire consumed much of the rotorcraft. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and an operational flight plan was in effect at the time. The flight, which was engaged in fire fighting operations at the McGinnis Flats forest fire, was being conducted as a public use operation by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Department of Interior.

The rotorcraft had departed the Mt. Tollman fueling site approximately one hour previous to the accident and was commencing the fourth mission of the day. Witnesses reported hearing a change in the sound of the helicopter and a radio transmission from the pilot indicated a problem.

On site examination revealed that all four rotor blades had separated near their respective hub assemblies, and all four blades were located circumferentially within a band 340 to 540 feet wide around the ground impact site. The bambi bucket was located bearing approximately 150 degrees magnetic and 500 feet short of the ground impact site of the fuselage. The blades displayed little to no leading edge damage and all four blade flaps, although broken apart, were found in the vicinity of the blades and ground impact site. Both main rotor hubs were found north and east of the ground impact site and all eight wood blade fracture surfaces have been recovered.

The wreckage is being recovered on July 31, 2003, and reconstruction of selected systems and portions of the airframe is anticipated in the near future, as well as an examination of all blade fracture surfaces and a disassembly of the Lycoming-Honeywell T5317-A turboshaft engine."

Saddening to hear.... RIP Mr. Harmon

Cyclic Hotline
7th Aug 2003, 11:10
I also worked with Randy in the past. He was a very nice guy and condolences to all his family and colleagues.

Further to the damage noted in the NTSB report above, the investigation is considering the potential of a high side governor failure and subsequent shedding of the blades. :(

Autorotate
7th Aug 2003, 16:36
Cyclic Hotline, check your PMs.

:E

212man
7th Aug 2003, 18:06
Very sad, and all the more so when it involoves someone trying to save/protect others.

Without wishing to go down the speculative line that so many of these threads do, I can't believe for one second that a high side failure could cause the blades to shed (as suggested above) and am amazed it has been suggested. For a start, the power turbine/generator turbine would almost certainly burst first and secondly, when main blades are shed they tend to fly a lot further than 340 ft; more like half a mile.

Flight Safety
8th Aug 2003, 11:00
I have no idea if this is related to the accident, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

I attended a Kaman technical briefing at Heliexpo this year, and a significant part of the briefing centered on issues with the Kmax sprag clutch.

Part of that discussion centered on pilot behavior, to the effect that clutch "overruns" were being frequently experienced in the field, due to pilots allowing the rotor to overspeed during descents with a load. Apparently due to the nature of the design, the rotors tend to overspeed fairly easily during faster descents with heavy loads.

Kmax reported that these clutch "overruns" were occuring several times a day in some cases, causing premature wear of the sprag clutch. This wear is turn could lead to a clutch "slip" event, where the clutch could slip under power.

Kaman released a new "box" called an "Aural Warning System" designed to monitor these clutch problems, and released a service bulletin for their installation in the Kmax fleet. It consists of a box with an aural warning system, an "overrun" counter and a "slip" counter. There was mention of clutch inspection intervals at certain counts, and other clutch inspection details were included in the bulletin. I recall that a certain number of "overruns" were allowed before a clutch inspection, but only a single "slip" event was needed to trigger an immediate clutch inspection.

The very idea that a "slip" event could occur under power, sent shudders down my spine. It was also mentioned that a newly redesigned sprag clutch would be ready for service in 2004.

I mention this issue in relation to this accident, because of the remote possibility that violent torquing events could be applied to the rotors, if a sprag clutch suffered an on-off-on "slip" event under power, causing rapid on-off applications of torque to the rotors. It's very odd indeed for a helo to shed all of its rotor blades at once, and I thought this might be a possibility.

Autorotate
8th Aug 2003, 13:54
Flight Safety - In Randys case he was in straight and level flight and had an empty bucket on his way back to the dip site from the fire front.

His Chief Pilot was actually talking to him over the radio when it all happened, and it happened very very quickly.

The clutch problem was identified some time ago as an issue and new ones are being built as we speak, and from my sources involved, that was not the problem with this accident.

:E

Flight Safety
8th Aug 2003, 21:25
Auto, glad to hear it wasn't the sprag clutch, I thought it a remote possibility anyway.

I do wonder however, what could have caused the helo to shed all 4 rotor blades as well as both rotor hubs. I hope they quickly discover the cause, because if any failure can be labeled a "catastrophic" failure, this one certainly can. I note that the preliminary NTSB report indicates minimal leading edge damage to the rotor blades. That suggests something internal to me (either mechanical or pilot), but I could be wrong. It's a massive failure so I'm very curious as to the cause, but we'll have to wait and see.