PDA

View Full Version : SUN AIR in FIJI

spm
27th Jul 2003, 02:30
G'day all,

Does anyone have any info on this company? What time of year is there busy season? When do they normally hire? How long it takes to go Capt. normally. Lifestyle? etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks alot

SPM

FJ738
28th Jul 2003, 11:39
Unless you are a local Fijian you will find it very difficult, if not impossible to get a job as an expat with Sun Air these days (formally know as Sunflower).

However, they have in the past hired expats - only as Twin Otter Captains. Fiji has ample supply of local pilots to fill Twin Otter F/O positions, likewise BN2 Captains. Air Fiji is much the same. The only reason that this might change is if Air Pacific takes another basket of pilots from the domestic scene to satisfy its continuing expansion.

At present, the only expats working for the company are the flying instructors at their flying school operation (aussie's/kiwi's).

Back to the airline side of things, pilots typically fly between 900 - 1000hrs/year. Their min requirement for BN2 command is 1000hrs total - so the progression is to start F/O on the Otter until 1000hrs is attained, then PIC on the BN2 (most of the locals that start out as F/O are from their flying school operation). Twin Otter PIC requirements are 2000hrs total, with 750 multi PIC (not 100% sure on that one).

The flying is fantastic in terms of scenery and challenging conditions. Lifestyle is pretty relaxed which can become somewhat frustrating at times when you are trying to do a professional job. Maintenance of aircraft may come as a slight shock if Cumming from Aust/NZ.

Summary - Flying in another's country in my opinion will always be good experience to progress your career. The flying is good and as long as you are careful, you'll take away a wealth of experience and knowledge. If you can last a considerable amount of time in Fiji, this may go a long way in securing a position with a major airline that employs other than locals - eg Cathay.

Good luck

jungly
28th Jul 2003, 13:15
I flew with these characters from Nadi out to the islands!
As we were loading the acft I noted that there were only 8 fasteners holding the engine cowl on. (There were meant to be 26...at least there were 26 holes)
I asked the pilot ( a charming young local chap) who said..."its ok, 8 is the minimum".

Agreed, an eye opener! Glad they didnt apply that philosophy to the number of engines. :ooh:

HabibBro
28th Jul 2003, 19:55
Yeh Im sure there is a Basket of blokes in Domestic just waiting for the Air Pacific ride..............If only they had an ATPL......Bro

Locals only Brudda - have another Bowl:ooh:

Michael Whitton
1st Aug 2003, 07:54
I was recently in Fiji has had discussion with Don Collingwood ans Nelly (CFI) from Sun Air.

as posted above it is primarily locals only but even if you are an ex pat you will find it really hard to get the working visa required. There has been moved with air pacific taking on pilot but unfortunatly there are 8 "cadets" from the academy i Nasouri coming through. They places before have alredy been filled and the placed vacated by the end of the year will be filled by these eight.

sorry boys

try samoa

gissmonkey
1st Aug 2003, 15:49
yeah..... but the real Question is, whata the women like!

spm
1st Aug 2003, 18:17
so does anyone have any details on Samoa Air then.

Thanks,

SPM