PDA

View Full Version : What are the actual symptoms of fatigue?

Random Electron
26th Jul 2003, 22:06
June roster 98 hours. July roster 102 hours. August roster 98 hours. I'm not sure I can keep this rate of flying up. Am I just tired, or fatigued? What is the difference?

Does anybody know the definitive symptoms of fatigue?

Thanks in advance.

zerozero
27th Jul 2003, 02:33
I'm just a pilot. But I've flown lines like yours.

Speaking just for myself: If I'm acutely fatigued (long day) it's just like being drunk. I'm not as coordinated; I have trouble with basic math; my reactions are slower; my speech is slurred.

If I'm chronically fatigued I get grouchy; I lose my sense of humor; I become more careless (take more chances); I may get sick (head cold or something like that).

I wish I had some advice for you besides "be careful".

The company will get away with whatever they can get away with.

Peace:cool:

gingernut
29th Jul 2003, 21:13
I'm not a pilot.

Sounds like you need to talk to someone you can trust about this. Sympathetic doctor perhaps. Is it time for a recharge of the batteries, before it spirals out of control ?

Laurienz
17th Aug 2003, 22:27
Am just completing an MSc study on pilot fatigue and FTL's (see questionnaire at http://web.bham.ac.uk/lxh296/[/URL]

This contains a chronic fatigue scale that identifies whether or not the respondent is fatigued and whether severely fatigued. If you identify yourself with an e-mail address in the comments section I will work out your score and let you know. I can also send on to you some information i put together on fatigue and how to combat it.

The results so far have been really interesting and will be available on this site once collated.

If you have anything that might be of interest to me about your current workload etc it would help with the study.

Sounds like you need a holiday!

Take care

Laurie

FarQ2
17th Aug 2003, 23:02
No probs ther Random Electron, feeling f........ed I think qualifies.

With indecision like you have just exhibited I hope you never make it to the LHS. Heaven help the poor suckers entrusted to you! :}

Deaf
18th Aug 2003, 20:20
Some variables here, are we doing 12hr sectors or spraying bugs at night. But figure the problem before a f***up.