PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake Linux won't connect to the Net

None of the above
26th Jul 2003, 03:39
Much to my surprise I have successfully partitioned my HDD and installed Mandrake 9.0 Linux from a couple of magazine discs.

The only problem is that I can't connect to the internet and attempts to do so result in the following message:

" kppp cannot find:
/dev/modem

Please make sure you have set up your modem device on the modem tab of the set up dialogue. "

Device is Best Data Data/Fax modem so not a Windows only software device. It is listed on Win XP info as being connected to COM 3. Not sure if I have it connected properly as the Mandrake terminology differs from that of the XP System Summary.

It won't be the end if I can't find a solution but it will be a disappointment as I mostly use this PC for Internet access and was prompted to try Linux as a result of being blessed (or burdened) with a natural curiosity, but we all know what curiosity did to the cat.........

Mac the Knife
26th Jul 2003, 04:20
The only Linux compatible modems tthat Best Data list are the Smart One 56K internal data/fax modem Model #56SF and the Smart One 56K external data/fax modem Model #56SX-2.

Are you sure you don't have the A56FW PCI Internal 56K data/fax modem (which is a Winmodem, i.e. requires Win9x) ??
The COM3 story makes me suspicious since Winmodems often emulate a serial port in software.

Anyway, congratulations on joining the ranks of Linux. Strike a blow for freedom and kiss 20 years of monopolistic avarice goodbye.

None of the above
26th Jul 2003, 05:30
Mac......

Thanks for your response which prompted me to seek out the installation disc and documentation. Curiously, there is little to identify the model but I suspect the first paragraph is a giveaway.

"The Voice/Fax/Data PCI Modem connects your computer to Internet.......... etc"

I think this probably confirms your suspicions.

I don't really want to shell out more cash but this may be the way forward:

http://www.evesham.com/Reviews/Display.asp?e=084CB0BB-68F0-4BB5-A53F-474947B3D6C8&c=5B9B3362-2BBA-4E5E-90A8-3C15C16119AF&td=1

I understand that HP are introducing Linux machines in the US and presumably the UK won't be far behind.

Well, I gave it a try anyway!

Thanks again, Mac.

Tinstaafl
26th Jul 2003, 06:14
There are some winmodems that work with Linux. The hard part is finding if someone has been able to write a Linux driver for your particular one. If there isn't a driver for your model, there might be one available for your chipset that will work.

It takes a fair bit of reading & searching though.

ORAC
26th Jul 2003, 06:15
See here: (http://personal.myvine.com/~gromitkc/20030513a.html):

Model MSP5900-U(X), Best Data 56K Mach 2 Model A56FW-PCI, PCTel PCT789T-A chipset, requires PCTel "Linmodem" driver (PCI\VEN_134D&DEV_7890&SUBSYS_0001122D)

Linmodem (http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/)

Best of luck. There are 5 different models of this modem, the only way to know which chipset you have is to open it up and read it off the IC, if you have the Conextant chipset, it's Windows only.

None of the above
27th Jul 2003, 17:06
Tinstaafl and ORAC.........

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately it has become clear that my expertise and sense of adventure are both about to reach their operational limits! Sadly, I feel the whole thing has become somewhat too complex for me. However, despite the lack of Internet access, I am enjoying finding my way around the 95% of Mandrake that isn't Net related, so all is not lost.

Thanks again for your efforts