PDA

View Full Version : Derby Airways - Any Info?

Flat Cap
25th Jul 2003, 08:47
Can anyone help on either of the the following points:

1. What were the livery colours of Derby Airways? Were the original BMA colours of light blue , white and black an inheritance from the old Derby Airways days?

2. Does anyone have any idea at all what the Derby Airways flightdeck uniform looked like, especially the wing brevet and cap badge. (This is the trickiest but most needed answer)

I have phoned Don Hall for info but while being very helpful they couldn't throw much light on either of these questions.

If you do have information do feel free to post here or at my webmail address: [email protected]

Many thanks

Flat Cap

PPRuNe Radar
25th Jul 2003, 08:52
Recall seeing a Derby Airways exhibition at the Newark Air Museum, Winthorpe. Lots of old photos, badges, uniforms, etc.

Might be worth getting in touch with them ??

PaperTiger
25th Jul 2003, 10:23
Derby's first colour scheme was a minimal modification of BEA's at the time. The 3 maroon cheatlines were simply changed to dark blue on the ex-BEA Daks.

The second scheme was dark blue and what I would have called turquoise but could be deemed light blue. I think this was the same shade as used on the Chipmunks ?

It was while this scheme was in use that the name was changed to BM, and the colours were I believe retained in the next scheme. Don't remember any black though, except for titles.

Flat Cap
25th Jul 2003, 20:43
Thanks for the replys so far, very prompt.

Tiger - I was undecided whether light blue or turquoise was the more accurate description, have now looked closely at a couple of photo's I think I go with your turquoise. Also I had mistaken the dark blue for black, D'Oh!

Radar - Have just been speaking to the curator of the Newark Museum, he has is grainy photo of a Derby airway aircrew walking away from a DC-3 but no uniform or display of any discription. If you can can have a ponder as to if and where you saw it I would very grateful.

cheers
Flat Cap

Mr_Grubby
27th Jul 2003, 01:55
Sorry about the quality of the pics. But they were taken at Hurn 1963 by JN.

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Dadsphotos/GAPBC40.jpg

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Dadsphotos/GAKJH45.jpg

Clint.

Flat Cap
4th Aug 2003, 19:44
Thanks for the pics Mr. Grubby, all useful stuff much appreciated.

cheers

Flat Cap

airsmiles
5th Aug 2003, 19:41
Flat Cap,

there was a book published about BMA some years ago, which includes the early Derby Airways days. Do you have this book?

I think it's still on my bookshelf at home, so let me know if you want details.

airsmiles

Captain Airclues
6th Aug 2003, 06:11
A few years ago I was at Booker, watching the present owner of Miles Hawk Speed Six, G-ADGP, trying to start it. There was an elderly gentleman offering words of advice. It turned out that this chap was the original owner of the aircraft and had raced it in several Kings Cup Air Races. His name was Ron Paine.
In the course of our long conversation (he had a fascinating aviation history) he said that he was involved in the establishment of Derby Airways.
Does anyone know more about this gentlemans life? I would have loved to have chatted some more, but unfortunately had to fly.

Airclues

Flat Cap
8th Aug 2003, 02:02
Airsmiles, no I don't have the book so any info you can offer from it would be appreciated. Perhaps I might be able to trackdown a copy myself.

Capt. Airclues, sadly I haven't heard of Mr. Paine but I might make an effort to see if he is still about. I am sure that a ex-Derby Airways pilot could answer the few questions I have in about two sentences, which is what makes the apparent lack of good leads so frustrating.

cheers
FlatCap

ozplane
9th Aug 2003, 01:40
The book you need is called "Diamond Flight" by Bill Gunston. The ISBN number is 0-907929 18 4. There is actually a colour photo of a Derby Airways DC-3 on Page 19 and I can see why it might have been described as turquoise. I was working on the M1 past Kegworth when the airfield was re-opened and remember giving a couple of the ground hosties a lift up to the terminal in my rather tatty Land-Rover. Their uniform was a very smart dark blue with white gloves (!) or at least they were until they got in the Land-Rover. Happy days and a good spot to watch the DC-4Ms arriving on 3 engines more often than not.

Airways Ed
9th Aug 2003, 08:20
There was an earlier book:

BRITISH MIDLAND AIRWAYS by B G Cramp
Airline Publications & Sales, 1979