PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro' and Right Clicking

Maxflyer
24th Jul 2003, 17:06
I have recently installed XP Professional onto my PC. Whenever I am in MY COMPUTER or EXPLORER and try to right click a file or folder for copying/cutting/ etc, I find the dreaded hour glass appears and the process hangs. I do a Ctrl/Alt/Del and find the process is not responding.

I have installed all of the latest updates, I have also removed the Intelli Mouse driver I was using, but it still happens. It is ok if I am using something like word or excel.

Any help appreciated.

ORAC
24th Jul 2003, 17:18
If it's a USB mouse swap it with a PS2 model and see if the problem goes away and vice versa. That should tell you if it's a driver problem.

If it is a USB mouse, check your BIOS and see if the BIOS USB mouse is enabled or not. toggle it on/off as appropriate and then try the drivers again.

Next, do you have a Via chipset on your motherboard? If so, download the latest BIOS version and see if that cures the problem.

Maxflyer
24th Jul 2003, 17:37
ORAC,

Thanks.

Unfortnately it's a PS2 mouse. I think the Motherboard is a PC Chips.

Thanks

Tim

fobotcso
24th Jul 2003, 17:55
This (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324754) might help although it doesn't fit your description exactly. Seems to support ORAC's BIOS suggestion.

For interest, what happens when you start in Safe Mode (F8 during Boot)?