PDA

View Full Version : CX- Question on min. academic requirements

justin_credible
24th Jul 2003, 15:07
Hi everyone, I've been following this board for a couple months now and think of it as a highly valuable resource. I've learned many things as well as day to day lingo as a result of checking in on the many threads.

So far I have not come across the question of whether Cathay or Dragonair, despite clearly stating their academic minimum requirements, would still consider someone who does not fulfill them. I for example left High School after completing Form 5, to attend a management trainee course with a multinational company. Since then I've worked my way up in the business world, although I've always really wanted to fly. It wasn't until I visited Adelaide (privately) and got to know many cadets that I understood everyone involved is still human and it really isn't impossible to get in.

I would be interested to hear from someone in a similar position, in particular I'd like to know if anyone out there has managed to get an interview with less than minimum academic requirements.

I'd like to be given the chance to prove myself beyond the limiting constraints of paper. Once I am granted that, it really is up to me.

And, oh well, if I can't get one now, I guess I'll just have to head back to school and complete a Bsc in an aviation subject.

Thanks everyone for your contribution in answer to my question.

j_c

ronnie123
24th Jul 2003, 17:04
Justin,
If you are applying for Cadet pilot you need all thats listed and more.

BlueEagle
24th Jul 2003, 19:31
Just wondering............... does the application list the requirements and give the option, 'OR EQUIVALENT '?

If it does than could this make a difference for justin_incredible?

Flying Bagel
24th Jul 2003, 22:02
Well, it does say that you need at least 5 passes HKCEE / O-Level or equivalent high school diploma overseas (if I understand it correctly.)

It may seem trivial, but I think they need the marks to see if you're capable of handling the academics on the cadet course. Insofar as to say that most cadets I know of have at least a university degree of some sort. But yes, there are also those who have graduated with just a high school education.

Guru
24th Jul 2003, 23:32
Why don't you include what you've written above with the application form?
It's up to Recruitment to think whether it's worth seeing you. The most we can do here is to encourage you to give it your best shot-and i for one certainly do!

Good luck.

justin_credible
25th Jul 2003, 17:15
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies!

Fl_B > Yes but it also clearly states that A-levels are required. Yeah you're right, most cadets have post-secondary education, some even with Phd's, and some former engineers. Then there are the ones with only a high school diploma, albeit with A-levels.

I'm also wondering whether I should send in the application now, and in case rejected, attend university at i.e. NSW for Bsc in an Aviation subject, and then re-apply. I guess that is the most logical option, provided they don't keep me filed in the "useless" pile of cv's forever onwards.

Bl_E > yes "equivalent" is mentioned, and I think that leaves quite some room for interpretation, but Form 5 doesn't equal the A-levels, regardless of where they were obtained. I went to High School right here in Hong Kong.

Thanks to Guru as well for the encouragement ! I appreciate it, and you're right of course. You never know until you try. I'm
simply trying to determine the best way to approach this, as like I said I don't want to be kept on file as a high school dropout.

If anyone else reads this, I'd still very much like to know if anyone with less than required academic qualifications has been given an >interview<.

regards.