PDA

View Full Version : Nose wheel brakes

Dualbleed
23rd Jul 2003, 19:40
Does anyone know of the modification to nose wheel brakes on airliners. Think I heard of a operator that had it on a 737-200

avioniker
23rd Jul 2003, 22:50
The only modifications I know of was to remove them since their weight and fuel burn plus the added maintenance didn't justify the results on landing in significantly shortening the landing roll.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Jul 2003, 21:12
Try this thread from last month (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95014)

G

avioniker
24th Jul 2003, 21:29
I think we need to get the terminology down here.
Nosewheel brakes are brakes installed on the wheel and axle to aid in stopping the aircraft.
Spindown brakes are pads installed in the wheel well which come into contact with the tires to stop their spinning after retraction.
All aircraft have some means of braking the wheels after retraction.
Not all aircraft have brakes installed on the wheels.

MaximumPete
24th Jul 2003, 23:45
The return line pressure is usually used to slow the wheels down gradually.

During one conversion course (DC9?) I was told that a wheel could disintegrate if full brake pressure was applied during retraction.

MP;)

pete zahut
29th Jul 2003, 05:56
Hi,

This is the answer: linked by Gengis:

''I believe that Maersk from Danmark had nose wheel brakes on some of there 737-300 or -500 that operate into Faroe Islands due to the short rwy there.''

(copied from Fresca)
regards,
Pete

PS: look for EKVG (rwy 1250 meters)

Alloy
30th Jul 2003, 19:41
avioniker
"All aircraft have some means of braking the wheels after retraction."

There is allways an exception to the rule! Recent A319's and A321's do not.

john_tullamarine
4th Aug 2003, 09:05
Having been in the front of a 727 when the nosewheel brakes came on, I don't think that it is fair to say that the system is "ineffective" ... terrifying, maybe, but not ineffective ...

I suspect that your comment regarding the AFM's not permitting a performance benefit is incorrect as there would be NO commercial sense to any operator's buying the mod .... I have some old 727 manuals somewhere .. if I get the chance I will dig out some numbers for you to illustrate the situation ...