PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi Bizjet

Sqwark2000
23rd Jul 2003, 18:44
Saw on the news tonight that Peter Jackson, Director of the The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a part owner in a Gulfstream G-IV bizjet recently added to the NZ aircraft register.

Rego is ZK-KFB and listed as operated by Air National Ltd probably based in Auckland.

This is the 4th bizjet to arrive on the NZ aviation scene in recent months and the 3rd that I know of with intentions to be available for charter.

Can NZ support bizjets such as these? Is there a market that has not been using the common piston twin operators but waiting for quality jet aircraft to become available??

I think there is the Cessna CJ1 based in CHCH, Dennis Thompsons US Registered Citation 500 (?) and a Lear 35 (not sure where it is) in country already, how are these aircraft going in terms of being chartered??

Cheers

S2K

Colonel Blink
24th Jul 2003, 06:08
1) can NZ support these bizjets - probably, given that the economy is allegedly doing so well (with the exception of forestry which seems to be going down the pan, which is bad news for many). There are an incredible amount of very wealthy individuals (perhaps there is an increasing divide between the haves and have nots?)

2) Seehere (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92029&highlight=lear) for more on that Lear 35

golfer4
24th Jul 2003, 14:20
Can't really compare the G 4 to all those other puddle jumpers.

At least the G4 can get across the ditch with a load.

Is Virgin going to operate in NZ with business jets?

nike
24th Jul 2003, 14:32
and that is why virgin will do so well in New Zealand.

What are you talking about KYM??

please expand on this statement...:confused: :confused:

jungly
24th Jul 2003, 15:30
VIRGIN will do well in NZ because the kiwi attitude is always to support the little battler over the perceived dominant bully.

However it is also a sad fact that most kiwis do not realise that Air NZ and even QF are the little battlers on the world stage. They are both small airlines.

VIRGIN on the other hand and the Richard Branson empire - although stand out performers and entreprenuers - are not little at all.

IN fact VIRGIN are now in the business of playing the same 'games' with QF/NZ that BA played in the 80's.

There was a TV ad in NZ many years ago that said "Dont leave home 'til you've seen the country" and the old ditty "Buy kiwi made". Oz has similar.

Perhaps you folk should support the home team..rather than slagging them off so much.

Sadly I must report to flying QF recently (International to SYD). I asked for some earplugs - as the scone grabbers behind me were making a racket - after a look of distain from the FA, she just tossed them into my lap. With an attitude towards service like that.....maybe QF are as 'cheap' as VIRGIN already.

****NB this is entirely off thread. Sorry*****

Cypher
24th Jul 2003, 18:56
The CJ1 Bizjet is based with Pacific Jets, which was set up by the same guy who has a stake in Christchurch Helicopters..

Good article on it in the Pacific Wings magazine just, along with a good account of the ferry flight to bring it home...

I believe the Lear 35 is based with Rural Air, and is kept in a hangar at Ardmore... I also believe it's the same one sporting a rather interesting paint job, with decal bullet holes all over the left front side of the aircraft, probably relevant since I believe this aircraft does target duties for the NZ Navy... ("Probably needs the old I'm pulling the target, not pushing it" sign ..) :p

Colonel Blink
25th Jul 2003, 06:53
From this site (http://aerotransport.nexenservices.com/)

QF jet fleet

B747 35
A330 4 (with another 8 to come)
B767 25 (actually own 30, but 5 are leased ? to Australian)
B737 54

Total 118 (+12 A380's whenever)

Air NZ jet fleet

B747 8
B767 11 (actually own 12 with one leased out)
B737 15

Total 34, or a third of the size of QF. Also the QF fleet includes 734's and 738's which have greater capacity.