PDA

View Full Version : Metro Electrical Failure

Master of the House
23rd Jul 2003, 15:52
Heard a Horizon Metro had a total electrical failure on its way to Cooma the other night then diverted to Canberra, was a clear night apparantly. Anyone know any details, just interested as I'm a Metro pilot. Did the standby power kick in? Good work by the crew anyway.

Aviator in the know
23rd Jul 2003, 16:33
I hear it was a lightning strike.

Master of the House
23rd Jul 2003, 19:02
Yes i just had a few more details passed on to me, and apparantly the standby power systems on the Metro did not work! Luckily it was a clear of cloud at the time, could have been alot worse if the weather was crap. Anyone heard of anything similar happening in Metros?

Night Watch
23rd Jul 2003, 21:10
Did the standby power kick in?

Sorry mate but..... Also as a Metro pilot, I am wondering what exactly you mean by this quote.
The Metro has two 24VDC Batteries which are available in the event that of a dual gen failure (providing that you are able to close the batt relays). There is nothing that will just "kick in" in the event of a total electrical failure. As for cockpit lights the entrance lights are hot wired to the left batt and such always available.
Lighting strikes on Metros have caused total electrical failures before, however it is just a matter of getting at least one of the generators on line by reseting it. It may take a couple of tries, but you should be able to get at least on of the gens on-line and likewise the batteries. If not, cockpit lighting is still available direct from the Batt and the standby AH and the co-pilots altimeter are not electrical. Not the most ideal situation, but thats what you do all your line training and regular checks for.

Well done by the crew.:ok:

Master of the House
24th Jul 2003, 07:33
Night Watch, as you would know standby power provides battery power to the standby att indicator in the event of LEB failure or total electrical failure, apparantly it did not work in the Horizon case, don't know about the entrance light though...

Chocks Away
24th Jul 2003, 21:25
The "Drain-pipes" are good with electrical strikes.
I've had 3 in dif. parts of Aust (read types storms) and it's just patience with resetting A generator.
...there are the torches!, 'cause the engines don't need constant spark/ignition...so your laughing :ok:

Yawn
31st Jul 2003, 13:46
I'm not a regular PPRUNer but I think I should reply in the interests of saying what happened.

The event occured 50nm south of Canberra on route SYD to COM.

The following systems were lost or did not function correctly:
All cockpit lights went out
Both stall warnings and shakers activated throughout; the left one burnt out after 5 mins
Fumes in the cockpit
All three AIs u/s after a couple of minutes
Both RMIs and both HSIs
Left Altitmeter, Nav 1
Both SRLs
The Batteries came off line but reset
Right Gen came offline and would not reset
No flaps, NWS, flap guage
L HYD, R HYD lights, no hydraulic guage
Numerous circuit breakers opened but only 9 did not reset

After the fumes the pilots donned Oxy masks, established comms and turned towards CB whilst declaring a PAN.

The Stand-by system did not activate as the left and right essential bus were powered. (consult the circuit diagram). However the stand-by AI was shorted in the inital spike.

Hope this answers some questions.

Torres
31st Jul 2003, 13:54
Jeezus, Yawn, that would really make the crew sit up and pay attention!!!

bundybear
1st Aug 2003, 01:44
**CK ME!!
I bet that focussed your attention. Good job getting it somewhere safely.

The stain never comes out you know.

kym
1st Aug 2003, 06:40
I bet that woke you up out of your deep sleep!!!!

hell I would have been ****ting myself:E

apacau
1st Aug 2003, 10:06
It' worth noting that the Pan was later upgraded to full emergency. I heard its a miracle the plane (VH-HPB) landed in one piece.

megle2
1st Aug 2003, 17:00
Yawn, thanks for that.

Its pretty well as I heard it yesterday.

Any comment on the CB activity? Heard it was a long way off.