PDA

View Full Version : Floating wreck near San Andros

eleroo
23rd Jul 2003, 05:33
What is the identity of the airplane wreck seen floating in water near San Andros Airport (SAQ), Bahamas, in January 2003?

Confirmation of the aircraft type only will do (i.e. DC-3 or C-46 or ???), but any other details such as registration and how it ended up there will be welcome too.

chunkylover53
24th Jul 2003, 08:32
What are talking about???
There was no wreck there, never has been in last couple years.

eleroo
25th Jul 2003, 05:21
It was there when Just Planes Videos filmed their DVD featuring Florida Coastal Airlines in January 2003. The footage clearly shows the wreckage, in two parts, clearly visible above the waterline.

The wreckage has since been identified, in the PPRuNe North America forum, as that of:
Curtiss C-46A N10624 of Miami Air Lease ditched on 28 September 1979.
There is further confirmation of the above details in the Aviation Safety Network website: http://aviation-safety.net/index.shtml

chunkylover53
27th Jul 2003, 10:00
hhmmmmm
may have to head over and take another look
there are so many airplane wrecks here
but have to have another look.
other airports in andros have 3-4 wrecks scattered on final.

eleroo
28th Jul 2003, 05:18
OK, chunkylover53, I look forward to anything you have to report after you head over to take another look.

The chaps at Florida Coastal Airlines may be able to tell you exactly where the wreck is.

It was filmed from one of their Cessna 402s (for the JPV DVD), although I believe the pilot made a detour after takeoff from SAQ for the benefit of the camera.