PDA

View Full Version : Namibia

mholanzi
23rd Jul 2003, 03:45
Hello everybody,

At the moment flying in Arusha, Tanzania. Would like to fly in Namibia. Any suggestions or tips????
2000 hours of extreme bushflying for aid organization.
Prefer (F/O) twin engine.

Asante

Skaz
23rd Jul 2003, 04:13
there has been a major reshuffle of pilots and positions in the last 3 months or so.
Air Nam kicked out all non-Namibian pilots, most of the guys left back to RSA, cause no other positions in other companies.

The few positions in Air Nam then filled by Namibian pilots previously employed by other operators at Eros.

This left a handfull of places open in about 3 or 4 operators. These got filled before the new Air Nam pilots had even left.
New hire's names on the roster and ops board in preparation of their starting.

At our co. two left, one freelance pilot hired fulltime and another fresh CPL by the looks of it.

The positions that opened at 'other operators' after Air Nam kicked pillots out & hired from these same companies, got filled by some of the ex-Air Nam pilots.

Bottom line.......lotta movement, but no jobs open

Goffel
23rd Jul 2003, 04:23
:confused:Hi Skaz.
I commend you on the english language.I had to read this at least four time's to understand.
What you are actually saying is,there are no jobs.
Ok.So why did'nt you say so the first time.
You know I get confused sometimes.
:}
To the guy enquireing,try the Botswana operators,as with your bush experience,I would think you had a good chance there.
Get a list of the operators there and start phoning/emailing and just go there.

As Skaz said,in Namibia at the moment things are very scarce.
SA is the same.
Good luck.
PS:Me,I'd stay in Tanzania.No better flying. :E

mholanzi
24th Jul 2003, 00:15
Thanks,

I'm happy with this information. Any other suggestions are welcome. I'm flexable! The next 7 days I'll be in the bush.
Hope to have some more replies when I'm back.

thanks again.

Where were you based Goffel?? When you flew in Tanzania.
Indeed, great flying

24th Jul 2003, 02:04
What about Westair and Comav? They all fully staffed?
There are still the small operators like Bushpilots or maybe the flight schools, thats if you have an instructors rating.

Havent been to Eros in a while, so there might be one or two more small companies that I've not heard of yet....maybe never will either!!

helldog
24th Jul 2003, 17:17
hey mholanzi,

I am in Tanzania also, Mwanza. You know of any work going in Arusha at the moment? I am working here but I have a mate here who is looking for a slot in Tanz.

Ok mate take it easy, see you around the traps.

4HolerPoler
24th Jul 2003, 23:04
Check out this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=939654#post939654post939654) helldog.

4HP

helldog
26th Jul 2003, 00:41
Whoa, I just got busted for a short post. Yep now its 15 characters. The original said "Tally":}

Skaz
26th Jul 2003, 02:18
126.7 alas.....no, to readers not as linguistically challenged as our colleague Goffel:ok: :ouch: , read my post again, in short....ga gona tiro, nada, no jobs , fokoll :ugh:

mholanzi as Goffel and Helldog said, best to hang on to what youve got, thats what I'm doing. Get your ALTP's if you dont have them and then start looking again.

Goffel < I'll take that as a compliment:cool:

oh yeah, almost forgot, been in Maun last few days, there's one guy snooping around for work, might get the lead over other folks wanting to go look there.

Still the best place to build hours, but be there, October onwards , hang around (be prepared to stay for 3 months or so, even if you have to camp at Audi) and make sure the operators know you and you get on with the local pilots.

Mail me for a better lead, I have one

Goffel
26th Jul 2003, 04:24
:cool: Hi Skaz.
What you are actually trying to say that there might be the chance of nothing happening but whilst nothing is happening something might actually be there to happen.
Ja no well fine.
But then I read the vok-ol part and then it clicked.
Vok-ol.
Hauw,you are such a good teacher.It might have taken me many days trying to work that one out.

I was based in Tabora and flew Mpanda (name in book many times there) Dadoma,most of the plains into their bush strips and Lake Rukwa and many others.
Seriously,if it was me,I would contiue flying in Tanz.
It was really one of my most memorable contracts.
Good luck.
PS:As Skaz says,ATP,then re-look.:E :

mholanzi
27th Jul 2003, 15:59
Helldog, try Air Excel or Regional Air in Arusha or Coastal in Dar.

For ATP you need 500 hours on a multi crew aircraft. that's what I'm looking for.
5 years ago I was in Maun. It's just an Aussie and Kiwi clan. By the time they need pilots their friends come over and get introduced to the companies and have a place to sleep. Difficult to get into that if you're not Aussie or Kiwi. My experience.