PDA

View Full Version : Air Scotland

stanley37uk
22nd Jul 2003, 22:06
Just wondering if any profesionals in the industry have any opinions/rumours/news about this outfit . Their punctuality and reliability has improved a bit since they started using Air-Holland instead of Electra but still seem to be dogged by delays/cancellations .

Eff Oh
22nd Jul 2003, 22:36
Delays seem mostly to be caused by handling in both Scotland and down route. All routes seem very popular, and Air Scotland appear to be doing well. The cancellations you see are actually the old Electra filghts which for some reason are still in the system. The Air Holland flights operate to a different schedule. More routes appearing on the schedule as well as them now operating from Newcastle. Hope this helps.
Eff Oh.

Stratocaster
23rd Jul 2003, 16:30
I just heard the Greek CAA pulled the plug: Electra's AOC went down the tubes (Mx problems), but I'm not sure how bad it'll affect the Air Scotland operation.

expedite_climb
23rd Jul 2003, 16:39
Stratocaster.

Electra arent anything to do with Air Scotland anymore. Havent been for a while...

Eff Oh
23rd Jul 2003, 22:43
Spot on Expedite Climb. Contract cancelled by Air Scotland for a number of reasons. One of "Electa's" B757s is still impounded in EDI, sadly it's in Air Scotland colours! I believe it has a list of defects as long as your arm.
PS Expedite Climb how's life?? :)

stanley37uk
24th Jul 2003, 17:47
So how on earth was this craft with a massive list of defects allowed to fly - it was only a month till contract terminated

Eff Oh
24th Jul 2003, 19:04
It was allowed to fly because you are allowed a certain number of defects (ADDs) standing for Acceptable Deferred Defects. These have a time limit by when they have to be fixed. If the limit is exceeded, the aircraft is grounded untill it is fixed. The defects on this aircraft were not being cleared, so as soon as it was no longer legal to fly, it was grounded. Air Scotland tore up the agreement, and moved to Air Holland, by far a much more professional company!!
Eff Oh.

nef
25th Jul 2003, 04:10
Does anybody know what Air Scotland's plans are for the winter season? Will they reduce (or increase) routes/frequencies, or keep going as they are?

Scotland's other lo-co, flyglobespan, whilst relatively quiet for the winter, seems to have big expansion plans for next summer, so I was just wondering what Air Scotland were up to.

Eff Oh
25th Jul 2003, 19:23
I believe the plan is for 1 B757 in the winter, no idea of routes etc. Air Scotland also planning expansion next year on new routes. No idea where though, but I believe a B767-300 may be required for some of them. However I have been wrong before! ;)

boredcounter
26th Jul 2003, 05:27
Anyone know the impact to the financial plan with the change of operator? I presume that Air Holland were asked to tender at the same stage as Electra?
To say Electra are nothing to do with Air Scotland, may be technically correct, but did Air Scotland audit everything correctly prior to putting their brand, and thereby their reputation, in Electra's hands.
I have no axe at all to grind against Air Scotland, and wish them well, but perhaps, IMHO, the choice of initial operator could have been more cash driven, than product.

Before you all jump down my throat, I work for a small airline, trading on the brand of a global airline, audited by the brand holder to the nth degree.

Bored

Eff Oh
26th Jul 2003, 20:03
Boredcounter.
I could't agree more. I think it was a purely financial decision. I also think Air Scotland have now seen the "error of their ways" and using Air Holland is a good thing. Their plan was to use Electra until they could apply for their own AOC, I am not sure whether this will still be the case with Air Holland. Not so sure about the financial impact, but looking at the loads it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm at all.

Deeko01
26th Jul 2003, 20:48
Heard a scottish bloke using the orange callsign last night sounded just like one of the kestral guys, wonder if he is employed by air scotland or air holland directly?????

Regards
Del

GustyOrange
26th Jul 2003, 22:00
Could you provide us with any more info on the routes proposed eff oh ?

I'd be happy to find out more...

Cheers

Gusty

Joe Curry
26th Jul 2003, 23:43
>>Could you provide us with any more info on the routes proposed eff oh ?<<

The 'word' is that Air Scotland are concentrating on both EDI and NCL...seems the overcapacity of sunshine flights at GLA has
tipped the scales. :{

Slightly OT - Another 'word' is that Germanwings are opening a base in Berlin and EDI flights are likely, going by the success of CGN.:p

Eff Oh
27th Jul 2003, 18:02
With regard the routes, I believe Faro from EDI.The others I have heard of, I'll wait to find out more.
Eff Oh.
Deek Check your PM.

Hogg
27th Jul 2003, 21:07
eff-oh check ures ;)